GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters
They work great, have about 10k on mine. Make the engine feel more aggressive!

Was really dissapointed they were not on Amazon Prime. What a week that was!

bigtim3727

What's your guys opinion of the various knock-off red-top "R8" coils that are sold on amazon?

I had inadvertently purchased a set of 4 that were made by the company "AA Ignition" (IIRC), that I installed around at 60K. I almost sent them back, but the build quality was surprisingly good, so I said "screw it" and decided to install them, along with new NGK's.

I just hit 100K miles and they've been excellent for the past 40K. I noticed improved throttle response when I changed them, and I haven't had any misfires to speak of. I'm sure they're not as good as the OEM Bosch R8s, but I've had success with them.

Anyone else use those?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I bought legit ones. Heard plenty about the fakes, sounds like you got lucky

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
.... I noticed improved throttle response when I changed them.....

Oh really? Unless the original ones were completely dead, I am highly doubting that. But if you believe this to be true, then great for you!

I've had the stock OEM packs blow one at a time over the course of 30k miles of being tuned. I.e. - I didn't replace them with the genuine red ones until they blew. When the 3rd OEM blew about 4 months ago, I just decided to install all of the red ones and keep one black one as a spare.

What I'm saying is, while your fake red ones work now, we will not know when they will blow. And seriously, even if they do, they are so easy to change that maybe it was monetarily worth it.

p.s. - when my stock OEM ones blew and I would limp/creep to a parking area and change them in like 5 minutes. The key is to have Mechanix gloves in the trunk so the hot packs won't burn you.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Oh really? Unless the original ones were completely dead, I am highly doubting that. But if you believe this to be true, then great for you!

I've had the stock OEM packs blow one at a time over the course of 30k miles of being tuned. I.e. - I didn't replace them with the genuine red ones until they blew. When the 3rd OEM blew about 4 months ago, I just decided to install all of the red ones and keep one black one as a spare.

What I'm saying is, while your fake red ones work now, we will not know when they will blow. And seriously, even if they do, they are so easy to change that maybe it was monetarily worth it.

p.s. - when my stock OEM ones blew and I would limp/creep to a parking area and change them in like 5 minutes. The key is to have Mechanix gloves in the trunk so the hot packs won't burn you.

increased throttle response was probably due to the new plugs

Last edited:

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
What's your guys opinion of the various knock-off red-top "R8" coils that are sold on amazon?

I had inadvertently purchased a set of 4 that were made by the company "AA Ignition" (IIRC), that I installed around at 60K. I almost sent them back, but the build quality was surprisingly good, so I said "screw it" and decided to install them, along with new NGK's.

I just hit 100K miles and they've been excellent for the past 40K. I noticed improved throttle response when I changed them, and I haven't had any misfires to speak of. I'm sure they're not as good as the OEM Bosch R8s, but I've had success with them.

Anyone else use those?

I picked up the same ones.
Honestly didnt even notice they were non-OEM at the time.
Havent had any problems with them yet tho.

GTI6891

I purchased the Red top Bosch Coils from modded euros and they lasted about 40k miles. I am currently stock tune... Just ordered the OEM Audi R8 coils.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I've run the OEM Red top coils from ECS the whole 120k I've had my car.

I've been in the VW scene for a long time, so I tend to replace my coil packs every 40-50k anyway just because I've seen them randomly go on way too many friends cars for me to feel invincible. These days I carry a spare with me in the trunk as well.

Never had any failures and I also haven't seen it become as systemic an issue in the MK6 platform as it was in other VW platforms. I know with the MK4's a blown coil pack was a pretty standard known issue.

I've only ever had VWs, but from what I understand these contraptions are pretty unique to us, I don't think other manufacturers have such a weird/delicate component in that same space.