GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KO4 Whistle Tried almost everything Help

walmartlegend

With this beat to death topic im reaching my end.

I have a high pitch whistle @ 2k rpm to about 3k rpm
Ive switched to I.E intake from P-Flo no change
I have Spullen Inlet and outlet pipes
I have GFB+ DV rev D
No boost leaks On the main connections
Does not make the sound in neutral
PVC appears to be working properly
N75 valve is perfect

I ordered a relocation kit for the DV that should be in tuesday
And have a appointment monday with a local shop Is there anything else i missed?

Im hoping its not valve blow buy or the turbo shaft which the ko4 is new from I.E

2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition

RyanM3

No help on a remedy but I have the same whistle, k04, ie intake and cts relocation kit but rec c dv and no gfb+. Figured it just came down to harmonics of the airflow but if someone has a fix that would be great.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Might just be intake harmonics. All open filter metal intakes seem to have this for the most part. Not sure how or if a relocation would help, but some seem to think it does.

walmartlegend

Update: I believe kthor703 you are correct I took it to a local shop could only get the sound coming from inside the intake pipe,later on I took 2 shirts put them inside the I.e filter area noise was 80% less much more bearable now to find a way to dampen the noise without shirts lol.

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
I have K04 with ECS intake and can hear the turbo spool (whine) all the time. When I smogged this year in Cali with stock air box on you can't here a damn thing so I also agree it's harmonics.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
post a video of the whistle, i had a whistle and thought it was the k04/DV for the longest time, it ended up being a leak at the IC piping.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have metal intake and ko4 with rev C diverter and dont have whistle. Does it sound like a harmonica when boosting? My friend has the same issue and is stage 2, it's likely coming from his ic hose.i was driving beside him and could hear what sounded like a harmonica...

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
K04 installed yesterday. Whine over 3000 rpm. Running COBB cold-air intake and their turbo-back exhaust, GFB DV+, new PCV. Pressure tested a while back, was fine. I will check ic hose.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
We hit 18 pounds of boost at around 5500 rpm. The whine drops away after 4000 rpm. Likely the COBB intake creating the whistling harmonic. Doing low and high-pressure leak tests on Tuesday to be sure. Then MAF calibration.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
My car did this when I installed an intake and got a tune. Mine ended up being the intercooler pipes leaking from all of the quick connect orings.
I bought a kit with t-clamps and silicone couplers and the noise went away.

My smoke tester at work didn't show any leaks, but it only went up to a few psi.
The way I found it was by pressure testing the system with an air compressor and some innovation with various plumbing pieces. Pressured the system to 30psi and it was making a whistle type noise from the quick connections.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
My car did this when I installed an intake and got a tune. Mine ended up being the intercooler pipes leaking from all of the quick connect orings.
I bought a kit with t-clamps and silicone couplers and the noise went away.

My smoke tester at work didn't show any leaks, but it only went up to a few psi.
The way I found it was by pressure testing the system with an air compressor and some innovation with various plumbing pieces. Pressured the system to 30psi and it was making a whistle type noise from the quick connections.
Pressure test with a compressor and various fittings is the way to do it. Here's some pictures of the setup I came up with that works really well. More info in post #178 of my build thread.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Yes, I had a friend his made same noise. It's the hoses\clamps. Mine made the whistle once right before i blew a hose off