GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
My12GTI
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 Shadow Blue 4-Door GTI
My SB 4-door work-in-progress

So I just bought my first VDub last month; a 2012 Shadow Blue 4-door with the Sunroof and Convenience package. My previous car was an '06 Subaru Legacy GT (also blue lol) that I modified to stage II with a TBE, Perrin TMIC, AEM CAI, BC Coilovers, Front and rear sways and enlinks, and various visual bits. It was a really fast, fun car, but it never really lived up to my expectations. Constant transmission issues brought on from not only my modifications but from the previous owner and it was a gas gulper to say the least. My commute involves quite a bit of city driving so I averaged about 18 MPG's, a little higher when I really concentrated on babying it.

I bought this car new to prevent any more used car worries (don't want to go into a debate about new v. used, I've heard it all) and could not be happier with my decision. The only regret is not getting it with a few more options (NAV, projector headlights), but the aftermarket world will soon help with that issue.

I am going in a slightly different direction with this car compared to my previous one. With the Subaru it was mostly about getting the best performance I could for the small amount of money I had right after high school. I bought used parts which performed just fine but there were always endless minor things that bugged the absolute shit out of me. All of the modifying I did on that was in the course of about 7 months, which made me get bored of it too quickly. I am going to start slow with more subtle modifications and get the most out of every part of the journey so I can hopefully pay it off before I move on (fingers crossed).

So, after the rant! On to the car. I just ordered my first performance modification about an hour ago-the TWM performance short shifter. I am going for more of an OEM+ feel with this car, so I didn't order an aftermarket knob. Here is the list mostly in the order of how I want to do things:

Window and taillight tint (installed)
JL Audio 12" Sub and Amp (installed)
TWM Performance Short Shifter (ordered)
APR Stage I
Track Wheels & Tires
BFI 25mm Rear Sway
VMR V708's or something else in 18
H&R Cup Kit
Eurojet TBE
APR Stage II

Various cosmetic mods along the way as well

I am excited about the journey and I know the bug has bitten me hard already! I'll post pictures as soon as I go through a few.
My12GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
My12GTI
Rally Car Newbie

Pictures of the GTI with the Passport radar detector I forgot to mention (hardwired).

Here's a few of my old Subaru the day before I sold it.

Last edited by My12GTI; 10-26-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
My12GTI
Rally Car Newbie

reserved.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG MK6 GTI
What is the button picture a picture of? Cant tell...

MY MOD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12631
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
My12GTI
Rally Car Newbie

One is the mute button for my radar detector and the other is a level adjustment for the subwoofer. Oh and the switch next to the TCS is an on/off for the sub