GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti exhaust on my 2.5L - 2.5" vs 3"

rocks31

Passed Driver's Ed
Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this topic. I am looking at buying a gti exhaust for my car. I have an apr intake, usp catted test pipe and will be tuning the car next month. All along I was planning on buying an ultimate racing exhaust which is 3" in diameter. But I can get a great deal on another gti exhaust which is 2.5". Will this 0.5" really make any difference? I'm assuming it won't make a heck of a lot of difference in power but what about sound? Anyone have any experience with this?

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
For future turbo application go with the 3", aside from that keep you 2.5 for a crispier sound.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
3" lol
RIP torque

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krautwagen

Passed Driver's Ed
You're going to be comparing 2 greatly different systems. Looking at just piping diameter, the 2.5" is going to be more than enough for a N/A 2.5l. However, I'm sure the aftermarket mufflers will be much less restrictive than the OEM GTI catback mufflers (they'll also be much louder, lighter, and not last as long). That said, the power difference will likely be negligible. If you want loud, go aftermarket. If you want quality and only a modest increase in noise, go with the GTI system.

rocks31

Passed Driver's Ed
You're going to be comparing 2 greatly different systems. Looking at just piping diameter, the 2.5" is going to be more than enough for a N/A 2.5l. However, I'm sure the aftermarket mufflers will be much less restrictive than the OEM GTI catback mufflers (they'll also be much louder, lighter, and not last as long). That said, the power difference will likely be negligible. If you want loud, go aftermarket. If you want quality and only a modest increase in noise, go with the GTI system.

My question was how much difference 2.5" vs 3" would make performance wise, ex. loss of back pressure. Going with an oem exhaust was never an option. That's almost as restricting as what I have now lol

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
My question was how much difference 2.5" vs 3" would make performance wise, ex. loss of back pressure. Going with an oem exhaust was never an option. That's almost as restricting as what I have now lol

You will lose a noticeable amount of torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk