GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch slipping at 4.5k miles? APR stage 1

McQueen77

Banned
From the FWIW column.... The 2.0T TSI in Europe makes 235HP 221ft/lb. I cant imagine the euro version is a different clutch than the US though I could not say for certain. Stage 1 does not make that much more than the stock Euro 2.0T where it would slip so badly (IMHO). I had APR Stage 1 on my 07 GTI since new and that clutch has 86K miles on it without slip. My new 12 GLI will get Stage 1 GIAC with less than 5K miles on the clock, I sure hope the MK6 clutch is not some down stream version since MK5.

yeah makes sense. im willing to make a friendly wager that i can go 50k more miles on this stock clutch w/my current setup.

patarch

Ready to race!
See next post lol, stupid phone.

Last edited:

patarch

Ready to race!
My clutch started slipping after 6k on a Unitronic Stage 1+.

Replaces it with a Clutchmasters FX400 6puck and I couldn't be happier.

Keep in mind I don't care about chatter and rougher take offs.

There is always the full face 8 puck wich got a good review from different users.

McQueen77

Banned
30k miles, have been stage 1 since 8k miles. Slips on 4th, 5th, 6th gears. About to part it out n go for STI

good. then we wont have to hear about how many things are wrong with the GTI any longer. :thumbsup:

patarch

Ready to race!
30k miles, have been stage 1 since 8k miles. Slips on 4th, 5th, 6th gears. About to part it out n go for STI

If you want a fisher price interior, go ahead!

Be sure that if you tune your STi like you did your GTi, it will slip as well.

FNR32

Ready to race!
DCT trans in the evo will not slip but it isn't near as fun as the manual. If you go evo, id go for a manual and just get a stout clutch from the start and enjoy it.

UROMKVI

important!

Just had my clutch, pressure plate, and throwout replaced UNDER WARRANTY! I have about 10k miles and was experiencing the EXACT same slip on stage 1 Revo. Took it in and had my guys at the dealership inspect. They said 2011 and up MKVI GTIs have a known problem. VW has a repair bulletin (different from a recall). The official writeup says the clutch is making noises and needed to be replaced. 2010 MKVI does not have this problem. Talk to your dealer, tell them its making a lot of chatter and noise, enjoy your new clutch

Btw, the cllutch feels COMPLETELY different now. Don't know if its the same unit, but the pedal now is about twice as stiff as when I bought it new. :D

Hope this helps, your thread helped me when I first experienced "the slip."