GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear interior creaking and squeaks

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Looking for feedback on how people have resolved these annoying creaks and squeaks. Has been there for some time after the Unibrace UB and RB installed along with a 24mm H&R rear sway bar. When I put in the Tyrolsport stage 1 brace, it helped but wasn’t fully gone. Recently I had a set of VWR sport shocks and struts with the VWR springs installed for a suspension refresh. Also, SuperPro trailing arms bushings at the time of suspension install. I noticed the tech put the rear sway bar links on the stiff setting so I’m sure this is causing some extra noise due to extra stiffness from the bar.

My question is, what have people done to their interior to counteract the creaks? It’s really only from the passenger’s side rear trim that extends into the trunk. That’s by far where most of the noise comes from. Do people Velcro and use 3M adhesive strips to secure the trim better from shifting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Looking for feedback on how people have resolved these annoying creaks and squeaks. Has been there for some time after the Unibrace UB and RB installed along with a 24mm H&R rear sway bar. When I put in the Tyrolsport stage 1 brace, it helped but wasn’t fully gone. Recently I had a set of VWR sport shocks and struts with the VWR springs installed for a suspension refresh. Also, SuperPro trailing arms bushings at the time of suspension install. I noticed the tech put the rear sway bar links on the stiff setting so I’m sure this is causing some extra noise due to extra stiffness from the bar.

My question is, what have people done to their interior to counteract the creaks? It’s really only from the passenger’s side rear trim that extends into the trunk. That’s by far where most of the noise comes from. Do people Velcro and use 3M adhesive strips to secure the trim better from shifting?

I’ve been around the whole car over a period of time with torx in hand and have tightened up every screw I could see and couldn’t!, In some cases I’ve lined between pieces with (tesa) cloth tape, one of the worst squeaks I had was the expended foam piece in the spare wheel that holds the tools (may be different in the states)! It would rub on the inside of the wheel and sound like balloons squeaking together, I completely wrapped it in tesa tape and it’s now silent, my cluster was another one, I removed it and tightened the screws that hold the back cover onto the clocks, again completely quiet now, I’ve also recently found a German product made by a company called Normfest, it’s called soules protect, it’s described as interior assembly spray and says it eliminates “squeaks” and “cracks”, it works brilliantly on tightly fitting pieces of trim such as the dash trim etc, my car is near silent inside now and has lasted well as I did it many months ago, occasionally I get a new squeak but can usually stop it easily, this is the spray but I don’t know how easy it would be to find outside Europe!
https://youtu.be/LIoDWsUby6g

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^ great tips. also, the leather seats rub together at their seams. found a ton of rattles from the rear center seatback/cupholder combo. Took that apart and rebuilt it with some sound deadening methods employed to really take care of the issue. Beyond that, I also rebuilt the rear hatch panel as there were tons of metal to plastic contact points that weren't kept from rattling together.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the good tips and advice! Yeah not sure if there is anything equivalent to that spray here in the states unfortunately.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I also use Wurth rubber fit (gummi pflege) on the door rubbers, works a treat.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^ sailcote (or sailcoat?) works well for reducing squeaks on the door seals/sunroofs too.

In the states there is a rubber sound deadening spray they sell at autozone and the like. Ive used it; it's alright, does the job