GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lou Maiuri's SPM FMIC, FX350, CTS K04 Review and Impressions Thread

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I was pretty busy over the holidays doing research and talking to various sources regarding a k04 setup in my vehicle. I was initially planning on buying a fellow members APR k04 kit when he had it removed but being the impatient bastard that I am, I bought the CTS kit (1572.00 from now until Jan 3.) I also went ahead and purchased the SPM FMIC through a local tuning shop here in Dulles, VA (shout out to Jarred at Funktion Auto for the killer price on the SPM FMIC). Finally, I purchased the FX350 kit from Mike Hood at www.Ringer-Racing.com . I cannot stress enough that those of you in need of a clutch upgrade give this man a call and pick his brain for whatever information you are seeking. He kindly explained to me the ideal clutch setup for my power levels (k04 soon) and recommended the fx350 instead of the 400 to retain daily driveability and performance. Those of you looking to save some money can use the OEM DMWF and save around 450 with the pressure plate and disc kit.

As it stands, I have the FMIC coming in later this week and will probably have it installed on Saturday. This install will be handled by the gentlemen at Funktion Auto and I will have pictures as well as real time updates in the service bay as the part is being installed. Next, the clutch goes in on Jan. 9th at NGP racing. I will also have a detailed review of clutch performance, chatter with video support and overall pedal feel and clutch throw increase/decrease. I will then have either Funktion or NGP install my CTS k04 kit, leaning towards NGP because they have APR software on hand. Things that will be installed with my k04 are Rev D valve, Audi r8 coils, and possibly new spark plugs.

I am currently working with Nick Bottini, fellow Nova Dubber, of Alles Gute photography to have his resolution pictures of the CTS k04 install at Funktion auto. Like his page to support his work

http://www.facebook.com/allesgutedesigns?fref=ts

Stay tuned folks and subscribe for feedback and discussion. I hope this series of installs will provide assistance to those who are looking for a cost effective, solid setup that will be dependable.

As it stands this is my mod list

Apr Tune- V 2.1
Neuspeed P-Flo
Apr Down Pipe
MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust
DG Springs
CTS Ko4 (pending install)
SPM FMIC (pending install)
Clutch Masters Fx350 (pending install)
P3 Boost Gauge (pending Install)

Cheers and happy New Year Folks.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
So ul be adding to this thread.....I assume.

Indeed, a detailed, picture heavy review will come with each install. The first install will be the FMIC this weekend at Funktion followed by the clutch install on Jan 9 and then proceeded by the CTS k04 install which will be professionally shot.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Looking forward to impressions Lou.....almost I mean almost bough the k04 today......just couldn't do it though.....spring time. Maybe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey if you want I can put you in touch with the gentleman who is parting out his k04 setup. He is trying to let it go for around 1700 and should have it off in a month. It would be a steal, I just didn't want to wait and the CTS kit is so damn cheap. I know your SPM FMIC hasn't seen any real heat yet but do you think it will be adequate for k04 in the summer months? Also, what clutch setup are you going to pull the trigger on after k04? still researching?

Edit: Thank you Mods (bender I assume) who cleaned up this thread. As part of a New Years resolution I am trying to be more civil, less troll on the forums and in person so I really appreciate you cleaning this thread up and keeping it on track. I really hope I can help people out with these reviews.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Looking forward to impressions Lou.....almost I mean almost bough the k04 today......just couldn't do it though.....spring time. Maybe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It took a lot of strength for me to pull the trigger but at the end of the day, it's just money and you'll find another way to make more down the road. That being said, I love my K04 and the only thing I'd trade it in for is a stage 3 kit :D

Lou Maiuri

Banned
It took a lot of strength for me to pull the trigger but at the end of the day, it's just money and you'll find another way to make more down the road. That being said, I love my K04 and the only thing I'd trade it in for is a stage 3 kit :D

Are you running SMFW with your stage II?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
You're welcome. Let's keep things on topic.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I only decided to ditch my DMFW because the only option at the time was the Stage 3 disk only and I honestly don't trust it with K04 power levels.

If CTS trusts the FX350 enough to run with a ball bearing big turbo setup on their dev car then I think you should be fine. http://www.ctsturbo.com/2012/11/project-tsi-snowflake-big-turbo-mk6-gti/

seems to be the sweet spot for our vehicles. I didn't even know CTS was running that setup, thanks for that nugget. What is your impression of CTS? Seem like honest people making affordable solutions for us.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I haven't purchased from them before so I really can't say one way or another. I am happy to see them bring some aftermarket support to the table though!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I hope I didn't make a mistake by retaining my DMFW

I think you made the right choice just based on theory of operation. New pressure plate and new disk are key. I'd like to retain the existing flywheel simply because I don't like the way light weight flywheels feel without a gear engaged (okay my only lwfw experience was a miata but the engine was far from as refined as stock miatas have felt). Also curious to hear how it sounds.

butchered by autocorrect