GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Discuss Clutch Options (Disc, Pressure Plate, Flywheel) - Summary of discussion

Clutch1

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't hear any real difference in the linked videos between the CM fx350 and the stage 2 daily from SB on my iPad.Anyone know if that's the same in the real world? I have the money ready for either the DXD SB stage 2 daily or the CM fx250. I've ready every thread so far but haven't made my decision yet. Holding power appears to 400 and 390 ft lbs between the two so grip should be pretty close so the difference if any I'm thinking may be the sound.
These are the two i'm considering as well. However, I'm pretty sure HSTuning used an Exedy disk in thier stage 2 install since it was so early on, so the sound levels might closer represent the stage 3 daily kit. They've said a couple times the stage 2 daily with the SB disk is a bit louder.

The SB Exedy disk setup sounds quietest, but the indoor recording is not comparable to the outdoor videos for the FX350.

Hulman100

Passed Driver's Ed
made a video of the southbend stage 2 revision 2 in my car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAcxbu-If0

gear lash at idle is almost nonexistent most of the time, chatter at takeoff and gear lash at low speeds is pretty noticeable.

all in all im very happy with the clutch and its performance

however its not perfectly 'silent' as i have seen advertised

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
made a video of the southbend stage 2 revision 2 in my car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAcxbu-If0

gear lash at idle is almost nonexistent most of the time, chatter at takeoff and gear lash at low speeds is pretty noticeable.

all in all im very happy with the clutch and its performance

however its not perfectly 'silent' as i have seen advertised
Thanks for posting that. I added it to the OP.

It really doesn't sound bad at all. I do notice the gear lash your referring to in the video at low speed. Hard to hear from the video, I bet more noticeable in person. I imagine the noise cancelling features on your camera are phasing that out.

I'm really happy you got on vid a take off. It looks VERY smooth. That is something that is important to me. I wonder if gear noise at low speed/deceleration goes away after time.

Hulman100

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for posting that. I added it to the OP.

It really doesn't sound bad at all. I do notice the gear lash your referring to in the video at low speed. Hard to hear from the video, I bet more noticeable in person. I imagine the noise cancelling features on your camera are phasing that out.

I'm really happy you got on vid a take off. It looks VERY smooth. That is something that is important to me. I wonder if gear noise at low speed/deceleration goes away after time.

take of is definitely very smooth, the clutch isnt grabby at all. i have about 500 miles on the clutch now, mostly highway miles, but the lash seems to be better than when new

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
take of is definitely very smooth, the clutch isnt grabby at all. i have about 500 miles on the clutch now, mostly highway miles, but the lash seems to be better than when new

I'd like to see a photo of the new revision... wonder what exedy did differently.

Clutch1

Passed Driver's Ed

D Darko

Ready to race!
I'd like to see a photo of the new revision... wonder what exedy did differently.

My understanding (from speaking with Southbend) while trying to decide what clutch I would go with is they did the re-design and Exedy took interest. Exedy then took the SB design and made their own version. Southbend tested it, and found it held more than theirs and decided to offer the Exedy unit in the Stage 3 kits.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Interesting update from Mike Hood:
Ok I just talked to Andy the owner of South Bend on the phone. He says if the same pressure plate is being used it does need to be reset and also need to make sure the friction surface on the pressure plate does not have any high spots or burn spots.

He said that their drop in disk is really meant to be used with a brand new stock pressure plate.

So the drop in disc doesn't need to be reset as long as the pressure plate looks good.

Dadasracecar

Ready to race!
One of the pix in the op is described as a revised SB exedy but it has a Sachs label on it.

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, tracked frequently.