GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traction issues?

SpikeyNachos

Greetings all,

I'm on my 3rd GTI and looking to buy a Mk6 R.

My question/ concern is from my test drive of a Mk6 R in the rain today. When I would get heavy on the throttle and in higher RPM's I would hear what sounded like wheel spin.

The traction light never flashed. I didn't try it from a stop but reproduced the tire noise in 2,3 & 4th. I would let off the gas so I'm not sure if I could have induced over rev which would indicate tire spin to me. Is this sound normal and everything was working as it should?

The car was side swiped on the driver side. My fear is that something didn't get put back together right affecting the haldex from operating properly. The front wheel did not survive the accident. Not sure the true extent of the damage. I do not know what sensors the haldex uses i.e. abs or what not.

Thank you all in advance for any thoughts and opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpikeyNachos

O.k. Let's try some different questions.

What does your R do in the rain under hard acceleration?

Traction light come on?

Does it spin the tires at all or does the Haldex react so fast you don't spin or notice it?

Would you buy a golf R with Haldex issues for the right price and fix the issues yourself? Or is it way too complex and expensive of a system to be worth ones time?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
My stage 1 R would get some slip under WOT in 2nd gear in the rain and cold weather when I had some near end of life PSS tires. My current Conti DW summers don't slip in a straight line unless it's like 30 degrees outside. My front tires wear WAY faster than the rears though which shows that they do seem to get more power but I don't ever notice the haldex system moving power to the rear. It's seamless and instant.

Generally though a stock R is not gonna have the traction issues you describe.

I wouldnt buy an R with a bad haldex system.

zrickety

The Fixer
Lots of nice R's out there, I wouldn't gamble on a wrecked one.