GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil consumption

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well so far no oil loss since my last oil change (1500 miles) and I cleaned the catch can after 3 weeks and 90% water and no cheese. Seems like relocating the can has worked out well. I think I can go a month without cleaning no problem. Although it only takes 15 minutes to clean. Pretty happy with the final setup.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well definitely losing about a quart (I am guessing that is the amount of oil to go from min line to max line on the dipstick) every 2500 miles. Fairly sure it is from removing the PCV valve. MLue's post previous about losing oil when the spring on the PCV was not positioned correctly makes sense. Anyway something to consider if you want to remove the pcv is oil loss.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Out of curiosity I searched around for an explanation as to how the PCV diaphragm plays into oil loss and found the below comment which sums up the idea well and explains why there would be higher oil consumption when the pcv fails or is removed. I could already tell where the oil was going and frankly I am not too concerned with it. If I had room I would add a second catch can which is a common procedure and I can see why.

"The PCV valve has a little spring in it to resist high engine vacuum during idle, deceleration, and cruising. The spring is there to prevent too much oil vapor from being sucked up into the intake and burned. If the spring fails, the engine will suck up too much oil and oil vapor and cause a low oil problem." - Well said HockeyClark @ericthecarguy.com

I

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
A very good tell tale of how the engine is doing is submitting your old oil for an Oil Analysis.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I think I am in good shape. Given the amount of oil I see other people losing when there are issues with the PCV I am loosing a fraction. Most of what I have seen it's like a quart every 600-800 miles. Hell, I'm only losing a quart every 5k. And a good portion of that is ending up in the catch can so all systems seem to be doing there job. The little car runs like a champ so I have no complaints. Took a lot of experimenting to get there but everything seems to be in order with the latest revision.