GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 05-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #1457
FndrStrat06
Go Kart Champion

Drives: Black 2014 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatvdub View Post
Hey this radio never turns off... in my car 2012 Golf R...
how do i fix this?
it tells me "Dont forget you phone" but i can still turn it back on and my phone is always connected to the bluetooth
It's working as intended. It still gets power after turning the ignition off. Once you remove the key, the, "Don't forget your phone," message appears, and then it shuts itself entirely off and won't drain the battery. If you're worried about power usage, just don't touch it after you remove the key.
FndrStrat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #1458
ssunnylee24
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssunnylee24 View Post
Im planning on installing the Desay B version on my 2006 GTI.
The can bus needs to be upgraded but, is it a simple swap? To not have the car die after the RCD 330 install?
Thanks
Anyone?
ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #1459
manol

Drives: 2012 Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssunnylee24 View Post
Anyone?
Yes, it's an easy swap. There should a few guides on the internet how to do it.
manol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:24 AM   #1460

Drives: 2013 Golf R 4 Door CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSSIVE View Post
I installed my RCD330 the other day, latest E part number with 565 hardware and Y510, C210 software. Now I can see why some people think it works fine with Dynaudio and others realize it doesn't 100%. It depends on how loud you turn it up. It works fine with the volume anywhere below half, once you go towards 2/3 or 3/4 it starts to distort and all the way up is just a wall of distorted noise unlike the stock RNS315.

After taking some voltage measurements from the speaker outs I was right in my thinking. The RNS315 only puts out a 4V max from the speakers when all the way up. The RCD330 being made for cars without external amps isn't limited on it's speaker output and will spike above 6V when all the way up. That's why at around that 2/3-3/4 volume it starts to distort since it's surpassing the 4V the Dynaudio amp is expecting from the headunit.

Since you can't Vagcom code the voltage down on the RCD330 like you can the other RNS units since it never came in a car with an amp you have to drop the voltage with hardware, essentially treating it like any aftermarket headunit that also can't be coded. I have what should be the answer to this problem on the way and once I can confirm it works I'll post more info. I don't want anyone who cares about this to spend money on something until I test it.

Very excited to see your results with the Alpine unit. Thanks for taking the plunge.
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #1461
msantram
Go Kart Champion

Drives: '13 GTI DE/'11 JSW TDI (VW buyback)
took me fifteen minutes to swap out the head units and get carplay running. the RCD330 is a great unit, installation was a breeze.
msantram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:52 AM   #1462
TakmaN
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW GTI 6MT
Do you guys recommend disconnecting the negative battery terminal prior to install or does it not really matter since no wires are being cut/spliced?
Mod List: Unitronic Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-Flo | VMR 810 | ST Coilovers | Magnaflow Catback | Dieselgeek Sigma 6 | OEM LED Tail Lights w/ LED Reverse | Newsouth Boost Gauge | Boomba Shift Knob | Euro Switch | Euro Cup Holders | OEM Front Lip | Blind Spot Mirror | Soundaktor Delete | VAG-COM Coding
Wish List: Unibrace UB | FFE Shift Bracket Bushings
TakmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #1463
FndrStrat06
Go Kart Champion

Drives: Black 2014 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakmaN View Post
Do you guys recommend disconnecting the negative battery terminal prior to install or does it not really matter since no wires are being cut/spliced?

I didn't disconnect the battery and it was fine.
FndrStrat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #1464
TakmaN
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FndrStrat06 View Post
I didn't disconnect the battery and it was fine.
Thanks!

Installed the HU, looks and functions great. The weird part is that I have the C210 bluetooth but I can't separately control Siri volume. Once siri activates and then it goes back to my music, the music is super loud (same volume level as siri). Any ideas?
Mod List: Unitronic Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-Flo | VMR 810 | ST Coilovers | Magnaflow Catback | Dieselgeek Sigma 6 | OEM LED Tail Lights w/ LED Reverse | Newsouth Boost Gauge | Boomba Shift Knob | Euro Switch | Euro Cup Holders | OEM Front Lip | Blind Spot Mirror | Soundaktor Delete | VAG-COM Coding
Wish List: Unibrace UB | FFE Shift Bracket Bushings
TakmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #1465
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
Same with mine. I have c210 and y510.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #1466
manol

Drives: 2012 Golf GTI
Ended up putting my RNS510 back in the car yesterday. I don't care what anyone says, the RCD330 doesn't sound as good as the RNS510...

All the life and energy came back into the music and it just sounded 'good' again. Noticed it immediately, there wasn't that weird absence in the mids, and the bass was much more 'confident'.

As much as I loved Android Auto, there were too many compromises. No dual FAKRA for FM, which meant reception wasn't as good, I love the steering wheel controls which you don't get with the RCD330, and I have AM radio back which I listen to on longer/more remote drives.
manol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #1467
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by manol View Post
Ended up putting my RNS510 back in the car yesterday. I don't care what anyone says, the RCD330 doesn't sound as good as the RNS510...

All the life and energy came back into the music and it just sounded 'good' again. Noticed it immediately, there wasn't that weird absence in the mids, and the bass was much more 'confident'.

As much as I loved Android Auto, there were too many compromises. No dual FAKRA for FM, which meant reception wasn't as good, I love the steering wheel controls which you don't get with the RCD330, and I have AM radio back which I listen to on longer/more remote drives.
I did the same, you're not alone.
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD | Magnaflow | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 Mounts | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 | VERUS |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #1468
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
My biggest problem is my phone. The USB receptacle is too loose to maintain the connection over big bumps, so it disconnects and connects again. Annoying as shit. Nothing to do with the head unit though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #1469
BroMoney
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Next update to Carplay will enable Google Maps/Wayze instead of Apple Maps. Makes upgrading to this unit from my RCD 310 very tempting.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #1470
msantram
Go Kart Champion

Drives: '13 GTI DE/'11 JSW TDI (VW buyback)
^ Looking forward to the next Carplay update. Apple Maps has improved significantly, though once you get hooked with Waze it is hard to go back.
msantram is offline   Reply With Quote