GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
So... what's better? Mk6 GTI vs the R besides AWD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they're both VW so they're both shitbixes. But if you want to split hairs I'd say brakes, reinforced engine internals, turbo, looks, exhaust note, sportier suspension/handling, and the amount and speed with which it makes panties drop:thumbsup:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Well they're both VW so they're both Golfs* But if you want to split hairs I'd say brakes, reinforced engine internals, turbo, looks the same*, exhaust note is quiet on both*, sportier suspension/handling, and the amount and speed with which it makes boxers * drop:thumbsup:

FTFY.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Well they're both VW so they're both shitbixes. But if you want to split hairs I'd say brakes, reinforced engine internals, turbo, looks, exhaust note, sportier suspension/handling, and the amount and speed with which it makes panties drop:thumbsup:

I don't have it in me today for a long debate, really it comes down to preference.

Splitting hairs, I mean... I wouldnt call the engine reinforced by any stretch. It's your run of the mill FSI same that came in mk5 gti's. The brakes are just a larger rotor with a big heavy heat sink on them to make them look cooler, still a crappy single piston floating caliper.

Suspension from factory sucks on both platforms, same as the exhaust note.

OK you got me on the front end looks. That bumper on the R is sexy as hell. I'm not really a fan of the center exhaust but personal preference is a factor.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I don't have it in me today for a long debate, really it comes down to preference.

Splitting hairs, I mean... I wouldnt call the engine reinforced by any stretch. It's your run of the mill FSI same that came in mk5 gti's. The brakes are just a larger rotor with a big heavy heat sink on them to make them look cooler, still a crappy single piston floating caliper.

Suspension from factory sucks on both platforms, same as the exhaust note.

OK you got me on the front end looks. That bumper on the R is sexy as hell. I'm not really a fan of the center exhaust but personal preference is a factor.

It's not a debate. It's fuckery.

Now that we've cleared that up, VW did in fact advertise the motor with reinforced internals and in the real world the motor does just fine up to 450hp, iirc. I tend to believe they weren't lying about that but then again the #dieselgate debacle does make ya wonder:laugh:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Argument invalid. With the right amount of money you can make any car "outperform" the R. Slap a better turbo on the R and the little drivetrain loss that gives a k04'd GTI the advantage over an R is tossed to the wayside. Plus you'd probably have to add brakes, lsd, anti-lift, mounts, and whatever else needed to actually put the power down.... all because the GTI is better than the R in every way, right?

:popcorn:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
The whole R vs GTI thing is something I live with on a daily basis since I do drive both regularly.

The issue really comes down to $$$ and small trade-offs like GTI having better gas mileage, is a comfier ride, or less turbo lag vs R having better brakes, better handling, more power, exclusivity, and AWD.

I know Jay doesn't think too highly of R brakes but stock vs stock the R brakes are noticeably better than the GTI in daily driving.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion

This right here.

Curious how resale is on each. I never spent much time looking into it. Yea, the R costs more, but do they de-value at the same rate?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah I'd say "golf" and "shitbox" are fairly interchangeable. But looks? If that's true then why are all these guys putting R tail lights, side skirts, and bumpers on their GTI?

You don't see me doing that now do you? Lol. Bumper looks cool, BUT reminds me of a Ford Escape's front end.

Status
Not open for further replies.