GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why are my Michelin a/s 3s so freaking loud?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ive had mine 3 days now. Drove them hard today. Small roads, Autobahn at speed, bumpy roads etc. Solid performing barely all season tire. Its really a summer tire with great performance focused also on wet weather traction. Bonus is the 500 treadwear rating vs the normal 180-300 summer tire wear ratings.
Noise wise its no worse than anything else Ive had on the car. Possibly a touch louder barely so than the original Dunlop summers that were on my GTI-35 rims. Quieter than the winter tires more importantly. Grip is superb. After the release agent is worn off in a few more kilometers I will push it a bit harder in some fun roads I know south of me in the small nearby mountains.
Anyone looking for a longer wearing performance tire these are worth a look! Im still on a true winter / summer wheels-tires set up. I will never use these in winter conditions. Nothing at all beats winter tires for cold weather or frozen moisture traction.

In the same boat here.
Was thinking about a "true" summer tire, and from what I've read....these should get the job done AND have a longer tread life (45k)

Just curious though, what other tires did you consider?

I was looking at the Conti DW's & Michelin Pilot Super Sports too.....which are both a lighter weight tire & the PSS's having a 30k warranty.

OR on the cheaper end, Nitto NT555 or BFG Sport Comp 2's.

///Audience

Ready to race!
I took my car back into the shop today and they found that one of the wheel bearings that they replaced had failed and believe that's the culprit. They ordered me a new one and will install it in a few days.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
In the same boat here.
Was thinking about a "true" summer tire, and from what I've read....these should get the job done AND have a longer tread life (45k)

Just curious though, what other tires did you consider?

I was looking at the Conti DW's & Michelin Pilot Super Sports too.....which are both a lighter weight tire & the PSS's having a 30k warranty.

OR on the cheaper end, Nitto NT555 or BFG Sport Comp 2's.

Dan I considered the normal suspects that you posted - PSS, DW and a few others. Im very pleased with the AS-3. You get summer tire dry traction and when it rains in the summer, and it will in Germany, the wet traction is super.

All the tests Ive read were excellent and in the end, it was AS-3 vs PSS. I chose the AS-3 because my GTi is the daily, do it all any weather, anytime machine. I have PSS on the 370Z I have so Im covered there as well. They are not cheap but I feel they are worth it - the AS-3!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Dan I considered the normal suspects that you posted - PSS, DW and a few others. Im very pleased with the AS-3. You get summer tire dry traction and when it rains in the summer, and it will in Germany, the wet traction is super.

All the tests Ive read were excellent and in the end, it was AS-3 vs PSS. I chose the AS-3 because my GTi is the daily, do it all any weather, anytime machine. I have PSS on the 370Z I have so Im covered there as well. They are not cheap but I feel they are worth it - the AS-3!

Good info.
It's for my daily driver too, BUT I don't really drive far/that much.

The price difference between the PSS & the AS-3 is like $5/each or something minimal depending on the size I go with.

What about noise?
Since you have both, which ones are quieter for you...PSS or AS-3?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Good info.
It's for my daily driver too, BUT I don't really drive far/that much.

The price difference between the PSS & the AS-3 is like $5/each or something minimal depending on the size I go with.

What about noise?
Since you have both, which ones are quieter for you...PSS or AS-3?

Ah ok, if you are not driving much at all even on weekends, I would not opt for the AS-3 unless you just want them. The price diff on Tire Rack was way over 100$ when I checked between the 2 a few months ago.

The Z is not nearly as quiet on the inside as the GTi. You hear road noise. The PSS is much quieter than the factory Bridgestones that came with the 370 so that's a plus, given the levels of noise the Z provides to a driver.

I would think simply looking at the tread design the AS-3 will be slightly louder than the PSS. I actually don't think it would be a deal breaker either way. When you are driving the car is moving, slight wind noise, stereo or you are talking with someone so its a wash at that point.

Last edited:

ianblake91

Passed Driver's Ed
My as3 was super loud. Then found out my alignment was way out of whack with negative toe on both back wheels. Now they are super quiet

2012 Candy White Golf .:R
APR Stage II+

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
My as3 was super loud. Then found out my alignment was way out of whack with negative toe on both back wheels. Now they are super quiet

2012 Candy White Golf .:R
APR Stage II+

Good to hear that was resolved!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ah ok, if you are not driving much at all even on weekends, I would not opt for the AS-3 unless you just want them

Well turns out I can't run either of the Michelins (too low of a load index).
DW's aren't available in my size.
And the BFG Sport Comp 2's are gonna be loud.

Soooo....now I'm looking at either the Bridgestone RE760's or the Bridgestone RE970AS's

From what I understand, the RE760's are an older (discontinued) model. Summer tire, no warranty.

The RE970AS's would be similar to the Michelin A/S 3's, I believe. They're supposed to be an "almost" summer tire, but considered an all season still.
AND they have a 40k warranty.

They're about $50 cheaper/tire over the Michelins too.

Bad part though....pretty heavy at around 28lbs. a tire