GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dpf delete ideas in California

SFGiants

Ready to race!
you need to go to Beijing to appreciate what we have here. At that point, you will have NO rights. I agree with you, the intake thing is pretty stupid.

Indeed, China is a communist country and they do not care about your rights! lol

I know we have it good here. My friend lives in Beijing and says you might as well smoke a pack a day. For California to ever come close to China in pollution, though, we'd have to multiply the number of cars on the road by, 1000? And completely do away with CARB restrictions.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
To be honest... intakes on TDIs don't show any gains anyways... not sure why you're running it other than noise.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
We test fit a "TSI" intake on my car just because some people want them and figure we'd test it out. Haven't dynoed it but will sometime soon but butt dyno says 0hp. In theory there could be some efficiency to it that helps fuel economy but I didn't test enough before and after so I wouldn't ever claim it did.

Radio on you can't even hear it, radio off just talking you can hear it a bit and it's kind of unpleasant. Not that the sound is over bearing it is just sort of a gross breathing sound. Like two people with sinus infections trying to make out.

If my radio wasn't on all the time I would have removed it already. I did apologize to a date last week though when I had the radio off.

SFGiants

Ready to race!
We test fit a "TSI" intake on my car just because some people want them and figure we'd test it out. Haven't dynoed it but will sometime soon but butt dyno says 0hp. In theory there could be some efficiency to it that helps fuel economy but I didn't test enough before and after so I wouldn't ever claim it did.

Radio on you can't even hear it, radio off just talking you can hear it a bit and it's kind of unpleasant. Not that the sound is over bearing it is just sort of a gross breathing sound. Like two people with sinus infections trying to make out.

If my radio wasn't on all the time I would have removed it already. I did apologize to a date last week though when I had the radio off.

Really? You don't like the sound of it? Obviously they're different - but I loved the sound on my old Corolla. Nice, but not overpowering sort of growl. Could also hear the distinct, initial suction noise when you stepped on the throttle from an idle.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want one. I realize there will be no performance gain. What you're saying about the noise isn't encouraging, either. It seems for the most part, however, that people with Carbonio or AFe intakes are happy. I've read some threads arguing these intakes are actually more restrictive than the OEM setup. This, I find very hard to believe.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
There are some issues as well from running intakes on TDIs... read up on that please.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Really? You don't like the sound of it? Obviously they're different - but I loved the sound on my old Corolla. Nice, but not overpowering sort of growl. Could also hear the distinct, initial suction noise when you stepped on the throttle from an idle.

Diesels aren't the same as gas engines.

While there is a "throttle body" on these cars it isn't really a throttle a Diesel is basically always breathing and this is only there to assist in Egr function.

If you are in a gas car holding he throttle at 10% its 10% it stays the same.

If you are in a tdi holding the pedal at 10% the airflow is changing so the intake amplifies all that strange in and out change of airsounds.

Defcon888

Passed Driver's Ed
To be honest... intakes on TDIs don't show any gains anyways... not sure why you're running it other than noise.

I like scaring sleepy morning zombies when I drive into my work garage.

Other than that... I already threw my money at it and I've been too lazy to put the stock filter back on :(

I also did notice APR doesn't list the carbonio as being compatible for the Tdi anymore.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
They don't list it because it was causing issues... I'd take it off.

TDISteve

California = Democratic State, laws to "protect" the people and the planet, costs residents thousands a year, cannot have fun, and looking at a blade of grass can give you cancer...

Florida = Republican state, can shoot a criminal in the streets and claim self defense, no epa bull shit, low taxes, no state or city taxes, can drive what we want, where we want, when we want (as long as it has a tag if used on the streets), and we have the best of all worlds, Hispanic food and fun in Miami, Tourist traps in Orlando, and no more than 65 miles from a beach.

I think I'll take the Republican road over the Nazi Democrats in California...

zrickety

The Fixer
I wouldn't say laws to protect the planet are bad, and you can definitely have fun in California. There's more to it than republican vs democrat, and most of those guys need to be kicked out of office. Florida is cool, but it's not the promised land.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't say laws to protect the planet are bad, and you can definitely have fun in California. There's more to it than republican vs democrat, and most of those guys need to be kicked out of office. Florida is cool, but it's not the promised land.

Neither is California. I doubt it is legal to take a beater pickup and drive it to a mud pit in Cali if there is an oil leak...

All I can say is California is for the Hippies, along with DC and VA

Defcon888

Passed Driver's Ed
My first smog check just involved...

1) Payment to nazi CA
2) Visual inspection
3) No OBD test
4) No tailpipe probe

Wow... should have tried out a DPF delete a long time ago knowing the first smog check would have been this simple...

SFGiants

Ready to race!
My first smog check just involved...

1) Payment to nazi CA
2) Visual inspection
3) No OBD test
4) No tailpipe probe

Wow... should have tried out a DPF delete a long time ago knowing the first smog check would have been this simple...

Really, no OBD test?! I'm fairly certain my first one had this. Definitely no tailpipe sniffer though....diesels in CA apparently don't get this

Defcon888

Passed Driver's Ed
Really, no OBD test?! I'm fairly certain my first one had this. Definitely no tailpipe sniffer though....diesels in CA apparently don't get this

I didn't quite understand it either because they never plugged anything into my car, where the obd port is, nor under my hood!

Fishy thing is, my smog report actually shows the obd test as having passed...

TDISteve

They are not retrofitting them, it isn't even remotely that easy and requires special tuning. A retrofit would costs thousands of dollars per vehicle and that is after years of research specific to each engine out there and that is ignoring what they would have to account for with gearing and load.

Also while they can test they have NO legal right what so ever to require you to retrofit your car to standards that didn't exist when your car was built.

Tell this to the trucking industry, please do your homework.

Guys can get 10,000 dollar fines (minimum) for grease dripping off the fifth wheel. Pre 2007 trucks are not allowed in the state unless retrofitted with DPF and all the latest updates. Its called complete engine swap, and if you wanna make money, you have to get to CA to pull freight from their shipyards. I've seen trucks from the 70s get turned around at the inspection station on I10 after you cross into CA for not being up to date. I've met Owner Operators who were forced to drop 15 thousand on a new motor so they can continue making a living by running in CA.

So, just because it isn't happening with Cars and Trucks, it is happening to the Heavy Haul OTR and Local operators. And you know as well as anyone else knows, what CA passes for one area will soon become law for the rest in that category, and then finally law throughout the US if the Obamanation can get it through Congress. Just check out the latest EPA restrictions that got shot down in the Supreme court.

But Hey, That is none of my business.