GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 worth it at 100k miles?

walker

Go Kart Newbie
I'm approaching 100k miles on my 2012 GTI. I've had an APR Stage 1 tune with the Carbonio intake (both parts) since 30K or so. I'm thinking about getting the APR downpipe and going stage 2. Call it a little bit of boredom. Also I haven't done anything to the car in a long time, and I've saved up some cash to put towards it.

I haven't had many issues thus far, water pump replaced under recall, and standard wear and tear stuff. I've never had a clutch issue. Some might suggest moving to an Mk7 but I'm the kind of guy who drives a car until it's dead. Probably won't get a new car until Mk8.

So, think it's worth it? Too little gain for the money? Think the car won't last much longer? Or just enough kick in the pants to make me exited to drive it again?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Go for it! I wouldn't even hesitate to go k04 or larger past 100k. I would say the only glaring issue really would be the chain/tensioner if you want to really keep the car long term.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I just went through this myself actually. Was stage 1 since 2k miles and just got a downpipe and went stage 2 and 94k.

My concern now is - is a full intake, catback and brake job worth it?

I think the 2.0t from VW has been in enough cars at this point to prove its reliable past 100k miles - Europe is full of Audi's and VW's with these engines.

All of this is to say... you should get a really big turbo :)

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I bought my car bone stock at 90k, im at 105k now and working towards stage 2 full bolt ons, then hopefully BT after that. I think you'll be fine going stage 2 and you can get away with just a downpipe and intake which wont be too expensive, especially if you do the install yourself. then if anythign happens you can just part them out to get some of the money back.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
I installed a K04 with 100k+ miles on the engine with no problem. I did a compression test before making the decision though.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
I've got the TSI engine like you on my '08.5, I was stage 1 at 10k miles, stage 2 at 25k miles and K04 at 71k miles. The car now has 204k miles on it and I just installed wmi 3 weeks ago for my cars 10th birthday. The point is that if you're happy with the car and plan on keeping it, then why not throw some money into it here and there. If you take care of it, then it can last a really long time.

webbry4

Ready to race!
I would say yes but I would recommend saving some coin and getting a different brand downpipe and even a used one. They can be had for a few hundred in the Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
What would be easier on the engine? K04 or stage2?
Definitely stage 2, k04 could be considered stage 2+. Both are well within the limits of the stock engine though

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Yeah, K04 is the way to go if you're looking for a 'fun' power increase...

My 12 GTI is @ 78k (had it since August 2011...) And, I've done every upgrade I can without changing anything related to failing Massachusett's strict emission laws. I've had the itch to push more power and the GTX2867R upgrade has caught my eye, the only problem is that its VERY expensive to support such a power jump.

Last edited:

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks guys, sounds like I shouldn't be too concerned with the engine, clutch etc. Although keep an eye on it. My only real worry with it now is the emissions stuff (NYS is as bad as California). My APR dealer said the downpipes often cause it to not pass, even with the O2 spacer.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, sounds like I shouldn't be too concerned with the engine, clutch etc. Although keep an eye on it. My only real worry with it now is the emissions stuff (NYS is as bad as California). My APR dealer said the downpipes often cause it to not pass, even with the O2 spacer.

All you have to do is swap back the stock DP and switch back to the stock tune/stage 1 and you should pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
I'm approaching 100k miles on my 2012 GTI. I've had an APR Stage 1 tune with the Carbonio intake (both parts) since 30K or so. I'm thinking about getting the APR downpipe and going stage 2. Call it a little bit of boredom. Also I haven't done anything to the car in a long time, and I've saved up some cash to put towards it.

I haven't had many issues thus far, water pump replaced under recall, and standard wear and tear stuff. I've never had a clutch issue. Some might suggest moving to an Mk7 but I'm the kind of guy who drives a car until it's dead. Probably won't get a new car until Mk8.

So, think it's worth it? Too little gain for the money? Think the car won't last much longer? Or just enough kick in the pants to make me exited to drive it again?

Why bother. With all the BS regarding emissions.......not worth the hassle for the little gain to be had.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!

Your stock clutch will likely slip with the added torque from Stage 2 or K04 power.