GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Build Thread - Project Jekyll & Hyde

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Drivetrain upgrades completed to really turn up the power: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2379799&postcount=6

-Found a 2012 “MWS” 6-speed Beetle transmission with 25K miles on it at a local junk yard
-Opened the transmission, inspected internals, everything looked brand new
-Degreased the case, masked off all areas for sensors/seals/axles
-Painted 3 coats of self-etching primer and 3 coats of VHT wrinkle black thanks to advice from U-20t
-Opened my “KZS” 6-speed GTI transmission to remove the Peloquin LSD and steel shift forks
-Built the Beetle transmission with Peloquin LSD, 1-2 & 3-4 steel shift forks, TyrolSport x ARP 02Q case bolts
-Decided not to install the Darkside Developments 02M / 02Q 5th - 6th Selector Fork Reinforcement Kit (FOR SALE)
-Reused my Clutchmasters FX400 and NLS TOB shims
-Sent my DieselGeek Sigma 6-Speed Short Shift Kit out to be rebuilt inclusive of the latest black slider
-Installed the 42DD Shifter Cable Support Bracket after discovering that my shifter cables were burning
-Moved back to the original plastic shift cable bracket after finding that my MK4 metal shift bracket caused the cables to bind and that the 42DD Shifter Cable Support Bracket would not align with the bolt holes
-Installed a fresh TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushing Kit (SSBB)
-Installed the DieselGeek High Performance VW Shifter Shaft Bushing Kit which made a big difference with my Raceseng Circuit Series shift knob
-Removed the TurboSmart Kompact VAG II Plumb Back Diverter Valve (FOR SALE) and installed the latest OEM diverter valve
-Switched from Motul Sport Ester 5W-50 (fall/winter) to 5W-40 for spring/summer

Now I’m ready for Spring so I can get a few more logs on the new Walbro 450 then dyno the 93 octane file. After that, straight to E85.

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
What did you do about coding the cluster/ecu for the mws transmission? I'm guessing the speedo and up shift indicator are wrong once you get to 4th and up

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
What did you do about coding the cluster/ecu for the mws transmission? I'm guessing the speedo and up shift indicator are wrong once you get to 4th and up

I've been posting all over to see if someone with a MK6 Beetle can check and share their distance impulse coding from VagCom.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Sick trans/drivetrain build!!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Some have seen this by now on FB and IG (@becauseHYDE), just circling back to update the forums...

Here’s our baseline dyno with a very conservative low boost tune on 93 pump gas & methanol. SAE 447HP at 6,493rpm and SAE 422TQ @ 5,250pm, both with 26.5psi and 18.75 degrees of timing on a 424xLC2 Dual Eddy Current All Wheel Drive dynamometer. Next step we are working on cleaning up the tune with 30psi+ for another dyno run before building an E85 tune for even more power.

Here’s the build progression in a nutshell for anyone who wants to take a Gen2 TSI engine to this power level. Pag Parts Turbo (PPT) built the bottom end (rods/pistons/wrist pins), upgraded the clutch and added their prototype EFR7163 .85AR TSI turbo kit. PPT built the top end (Supertech), custom Audi all-road intake manifold with port fuel layout and true front mount intercooler. Took my time meticulously wiring and testing the Torqbyte CM5-LT and PM3 with twin 1,000cc split-spray port fuel injectors and post intercooler water methanol jet. Started logging higher boost files with port fuel and quickly realized we were out of LPFP supply so went with the PPT custom Walbro450 LPFP kit. Realized I needed more traction so switched up my suspension/wheel/tire layout which led to more speed which led to a newer brake system upgrade. Added more boost and timing and built a 2nd stage of PWM direct port methanol with the CM5-LT to support higher timing. Shed a ton of weight (seats and trunk) and corner balanced the car for more traction. Built a full Beetle “MWS” 02Q 6-speed transmission with Peloquin LSD/TyrolSport ARP case bolts/steel shift forks. Spent months logging around weather/work/family to tune the Eurodyne ECU file and simultaneously tune 4 separate MAPS on the CM5-LT (AUX = Walbro450 / MAIN = pump with 1st stage post intercooler water methanol / GPO1 = port fuel / GPO2 = 2nd stage direct port water methanol). It was a lot to accomplish in 2+ years with kids/new house/new job. This wasn’t an all-at-once cash build to go from K04 to fully built big turbo; I scrounged for sponsorships, sold off old parts to make way for new/improved parts, did a lot of the work myself, gained a lot of the parts or discounts from writing HYDE16 forum reviews since 2011 and leaned on a lot of people for advice and recommendations. It’s been a long road and to some, “too long of a build”, but I built this car my way and it’s now starting to pay off. As one friend put it, a “build” is about the journey and friends met along the way, not about the end result.

Thank you to Arnold Lee at Pag Parts Turbo for his engineering/fabrication/hardware/overall build, Rick Daystrom at Torqbyte for the support and software enhancements, Kim Andre Kvernlien at KAK Tuning for his long term Eurodyne custom tuning, Kojac Jerry for the late night Torqbyte tuning sessions and meticulous improvements, David Veal and Andrew Bowers for overall support during every road block I faced (tune/emissions/LPFP supply issues/etc) and everyone else who said they love following the build which in turn kept this going as far as it did. The entire build has been chronologically cataloged with step by step build photos on IG @becauseHYDE16.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Build thread scrubbed for up to date upgrades and recent additions over the winter. When looking at my list, there were a lot of things that I had taken off the car and either sold or swapped out for another option. Feels good to get the full build thread up to date with the latest parts.

I spent the past 3 months working on a checklist of performance upgrades, interior and exterior cosmetic changes and overall maintenance; full photo and video updates have been posted daily on IG @becauseHYDE16

Maintenance:
New upper timing cover gaskets
New intake manifold gaskets
New OEM PCV with Pag Parts Turbo custom check valve elbow connection & upgraded RKXtech PCV diaphragm

Engine Bay:
GRAMS Fuel Pressure Gauge

Interior:
CJM Industries Center Vent Pod
Innovate Motorsports MTX-D: Oil Pressure & Temperature Gauge
Raceseng Circuit Series Knob – full review video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUkxTq-oY3s&t=63s
Rennline Aluminum Pedal Set, Lifter Plate & Throttle Extension

Exterior:
deAutoLED 5500K Xenons
Golf R bumper (euro replica)
Raceseng Plate Holder with Raceseng View (GoPro)
Raceseng Rear Tug
Raceseng View
Rokblokz
Verus Rear Diffuser
VW European Headlights

Performance
ECS Tuning Billet Aluminum Oil Level Sensor Blockoff Plate (drilled and tapped for Innovate MTX-D oil temperature sensor)
GRAF aluminum water pump
Iabed Industries oil cooler kit
Torqbyte P3073x - Code Inhibitor Module
Turbosmart Kompact EM BOV Plumb Back VR1 Diverter Valve
USRT PeaceKeeper Heat Defense System controlled by USRT Boost Trigga (review video to come)
USRT TSI Oil Pressure Gauge Adapter for Innovate MTX-D oil pressure sensor

Upcoming Projects:
Brisk racing plugs
Cobb AP
Golf R side skirts
New R8 oil cap
Raceseng titanium wheel studs and closed end nuts
Verus Front Splitter (summer 2019)
Verus Hood Vents

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Build thread scrubbed for up to date upgrades and recent additions over the winter. When looking at my list, there were a lot of things that I had taken off the car and either sold or swapped out for another option. Feels good to get the full build thread up to date with the latest parts.

I spent the past 3 months working on a checklist of performance upgrades, interior and exterior cosmetic changes and overall maintenance; full photo and video updates have been posted daily on IG @becauseHYDE16

Maintenance:
New upper timing cover gaskets
New intake manifold gaskets
New OEM PCV with Pag Parts Turbo custom check valve elbow connection & upgraded RKXtech PCV diaphragm

Engine Bay:
GRAMS Fuel Pressure Gauge

Interior:
CJM Industries Center Vent Pod
Innovate Motorsports MTX-D: Oil Pressure & Temperature Gauge
Raceseng Circuit Series Knob – full review video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUkxTq-oY3s&t=63s
Rennline Aluminum Pedal Set, Lifter Plate & Throttle Extension

Exterior:
deAutoLED 5500K Xenons
Golf R bumper (euro replica)
Raceseng Plate Holder with Raceseng View (GoPro)
Raceseng Rear Tug
Raceseng View
Rokblokz
Verus Rear Diffuser
VW European Headlights

Performance
ECS Tuning Billet Aluminum Oil Level Sensor Blockoff Plate (drilled and tapped for Innovate MTX-D oil temperature sensor)
GRAF aluminum water pump
Iabed Industries oil cooler kit
Torqbyte P3073x - Code Inhibitor Module
Turbosmart Kompact EM BOV Plumb Back VR1 Diverter Valve
USRT PeaceKeeper Heat Defense System controlled by USRT Boost Trigga (review video to come)
USRT TSI Oil Pressure Gauge Adapter for Innovate MTX-D oil pressure sensor

Upcoming Projects:
Brisk racing plugs
Cobb AP
Golf R side skirts
New R8 oil cap
Raceseng titanium wheel studs and closed end nuts
Verus Front Splitter (summer 2019)
Verus Hood Vents

Looking forward to the HSD review. Definitely a cool idea. Did you know iabed has a distribution block that goes off of the same port that USRT's adapter goes into, but will allow both a temp and pressure gauge? Would've saved you having to tap into the oil pan.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Looking forward to the HSD review. Definitely a cool idea. Did you know iabed has a distribution block that goes off of the same port that USRT's adapter goes into, but will allow both a temp and pressure gauge? Would've saved you having to tap into the oil pan.

Yes I saw that one but I wanted oil temp at the oil pan. Oil temp at the oil housing would be skewed by the cool oil returning from the external oil cooler. For an accurate depiction of "engine" oil temp, oil pan is best.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Probably a stupid question, as I havent thoroughly researched, but whats the benefit of that transmission? I didn't read anything in the tread about coding, retrofitting, etc, so does this option bolt right in?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
recent pics of car?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Will the HDS system be pulling from the windshield washer reservoir?