GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This forum is almost dead

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I've had this damn clunk for so long now, but I think it's getting worse. I've replaced the upper strut mounts, and the endlinks with some from whiteline but one of them is already seized so it might be the endlink making the clunk still, and I've had subframe locking collars installed.

The sound is coming from the upper strut mount area, or so it seems like it while inside the car, so I thought for sure new upper strut mounts would do it.

I'm gonna wait a month or 2 for the weather to get better, but I'm just gonna replace all the control arm bushings. New forward and rear bushings and a new balljoint, and new endlinks too. If it's still clunking after all that it's gotta be the axle, I doubt it's a wheel bearing, or its my actual strut like my mechanic seems to think. The bushings are pretty easy to swap out though so I'll start there.
I'd adjust the endlinks, whitelines are notorious for clunking. I had to adjust them probably 5-6 times before I got the clunk to go away.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'd adjust the endlinks, whitelines are notorious for clunking. I had to adjust them probably 5-6 times before I got the clunk to go away.

One of them is completely seized up, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're the reason. I think I might replace them with super pros. Unless someone has a better brand to suggest. I'm not a fan of the open bearings on the 034. I'm looking for something with a boot like the whiteline or super pros.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
check your pm's big dawg
One of them is completely seized up, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're the reason. I think I might replace them with super pros. Unless someone has a better brand to suggest. I'm not a fan of the open bearings on the 034. I'm looking for something with a boot like the whiteline or super pros.

i have super pros, there was a revision where the boots were failing or something ...but apparently they fixed it now and will replace the old ones no questions asked.

jay745

They have the same problem as whitelines. The 034's are the best design out there, unfortunately also the most expensive. You could make a boot out of a thick balloon, fill it with grease if you're worried about it being exposed.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
They have the same problem as whitelines. The 034's are the best design out there, unfortunately also the most expensive. You could make a boot out of a thick balloon, fill it with grease if you're worried about it being exposed.

Bleh...yea, being in FL there's like a 50% chance I'll be driving in the rain every day during the summer so I'm not sure how well the 034 bearings would hold up. I'm lazy as hell, so greasing some end links every 6 months or whatever isn't something I want to be doing. Maybe they're not as problematic as I'm assuming though...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
You can't handle the topic!!

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Still no carbon cleaning at 93 k. But I drive it in carbon cleaning mode Let's just say like 100% of the time

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I plan on having a carbon cleaning done once my car tells me it needs one. Until then I'll just motor on in "carbon cleaning mode".

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i probably wont ever get carbon cleaning unless my motor stops working.

Im just under 70k and i only put on about 6500 miles per year.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
eyyy so something weird is happening... So like when i drive and come to a stop (like after applying medium brake pressure and on.. doesnt really do it with barely applying the brake) i hear a clunk before coming to a stop. Its only one clunk and i dont hear a clunk when i accelerate just when i brake again.

Feels/sounds like its coming from under my feet. Any suggestions on what to look for/what yall think it is?

jay745

eyyy so something weird is happening... So like when i drive and come to a stop (like after applying medium brake pressure and on.. doesnt really do it with barely applying the brake) i hear a clunk before coming to a stop. Its only one clunk and i dont hear a clunk when i accelerate just when i brake again.

Feels/sounds like its coming from under my feet. Any suggestions on what to look for/what yall think it is?

My guess would be that your intake is hitting the brake resevoir when the car settles. If you have stock engine mounts you'd really be surprised how much play there is, the g forces of the engine stopping and then settling would cause it to rock and and forth, the intake pipe is very common to hit the brake resevoir and make it feel like it's coming through the pedal.