GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter wheels and tires. What do you prefer or think is best?

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I like Blizzak's, never had any more noise than any snow tire gives. Rotating them front to back each season may be why I haven't had noise. What I do not like about Blizzak tires is the fact once you wear through the special compound the tires become worthless as a snow tire. That is the reason I'm leaning toward the General Arctic Altimax.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I've run X-Ices, General Altimax and Nexan Wingaurds (Currently).

The X-Ices worked really well on my MK4, but I got them used for a steal and probably would never pay for a new set. Bought them used and still put two or three winters on them and sold the car with them and they still had some meat left.

Artimax's were unstoppable in the snow. But they were REALLY mushy when driving the car when it wasn't snowing. For the price they are fantastic tires, and I put two winters on these along with doing tons of pointless burnouts with them and they still had at least 2 more winters to go.

I run the Nexans now. The best tire out of the bunch for cold weather and no snow because it's still somewhat performance oriented. They never let me down when it was snowing and they work really well. Not quite as good as the Generals in snow, but way better dry road traction for when it isn't snowing. Not to mention they are DIRT cheap. I have only run these for one winter so far, but expect to get another 2 winters pretty easily out of them.

Blizzaks are clearly the fan favorite, but there are much cheaper options out there with very similar results.

Winoman

Ready to race!
The Vredstein Wintrac Extreme is not a cheap tire. If cheap is what you want - OK - go cheap. But if driving performance is what you want - you owe it to yourself to check out the Vreds. Tire Rack doesn't carry them - or didn't last I checked. So you need to look around...but well worth it.

Several years ago in October I ran the Tail of the Dragon - several runs in my (AWD) Audi - mostly in a light rain/mist. I was unquestionably the fastest car out there...even ran down Killboy (a local who lives on that road) at one point.....in snow tires....yeah...

AM407

Autocross Champion
I like Blizzak's, never had any more noise than any snow tire gives. Rotating them front to back each season may be why I haven't had noise. What I do not like about Blizzak tires is the fact once you wear through the special compound the tires become worthless as a snow tire. That is the reason I'm leaning toward the General Arctic Altimax.

Once you wear through the special compound you're below 6/32" of tread remaining. Makes zero difference to me, as any winter tire is worn out for winter use at that point.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Yes they are not the best at 6/32, but I feel it is the change in compound that really makes them useless.

Being in AB you know more about snow than I ever will, around here a 6/32 snow tire would work for our lighter snows although the big dumps of snow would require more.