GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel additives for lubrication of HPFP

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I haven't used any additives yet, other than filling up every other fill up with B5.

B5 has better lubricity than regular ULSD that has been treated with Optilube or Diesel Kleen or anything else for that matter.

If you exclusively use B5, and your fuel pump fails it is def not because of lubricity.

Timujin

Ready to race!
I'm throwing in Stanadyne lubricity and performance as insurance. As mentioned if the hpfp fails faaaack this car :thumbsup:

Fixmy59bug

Ready to race!
Ha ha ha ha ha.

I am in the same boat. I use strictly biodiesel as an "additive" since it has much higher lubricate than any traditional additive.

But much like Timujin, if the pump goes, I will not be a happy man.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Damn you have an 09 with a functioning pump!!! Now that's something. I did a poll over on TDI club and the 09s had a t 25% failure rate... at least from those posting on the forums.

Fixmy59bug

Ready to race!
Yup.

09 with almost 40k miles, the original pump, and not a hiccup from her.

I must be doing something right.

Maybe it was using an additive from the start, or maybe it was using the freshest diesel available from a reputable source.

Or maybe it was just blind stupid luck.

At this point who knows.

I'm not sure I believe the 25% failure rate though. That is a little far fetched.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yup.

09 with almost 40k miles, the original pump, and not a hiccup from her.

I must be doing something right.

Maybe it was using an additive from the start, or maybe it was using the freshest diesel available from a reputable source.

Or maybe it was just blind stupid luck.

At this point who knows.

I'm not sure I believe the 25% failure rate though. That is a little far fetched.

Well it was a forum poll... ppl usually seek out a forum if they have an issue... so it may be artificially high.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=331812
40k miles in 3 years :laugh: oh man you shouldn't be driving a diesel ;)

I am 11k in 7 months :(

Fixmy59bug

Ready to race!
Well, I bought it in August of 09. So it is more like 2.5 years.

But I bought it because I have family that lives kinda far away (in Washington, I live in So Cal).

But that family is moving to vegas, and I promised I would visit them monthly.

I have my reasons for buying a diesel. I may not get the most use out of it, but (barring any accidents) I will get the longest use out of it.

Also, IF I decide to sell, my mileage will be lower than the typical TDI driver, so it may be worth more.

=^)

TDI 4EVR

When you guys are referring to these lubricants...... Is this the blue stuff you have to use in the 3.0 liter Diesels, like in the Toureg - or is that something else? I bought a 100,000 mile warranty. Since there's nothing in my 2012 manual about having to use any sort of lubricant - I'm not going to worry over it. If it goes - they will replace it.

wrich73

Passed Driver's Ed
When you guys are referring to these lubricants...... Is this the blue stuff you have to use in the 3.0 liter Diesels, like in the Toureg - or is that something else? I bought a 100,000 mile warranty. Since there's nothing in my 2012 manual about having to use any sort of lubricant - I'm not going to worry over it. If it goes - they will replace it.

http://www.opti-lube.com/XPD.htm This stuff. You can also use Power Service Diesel Kleen which is available at Walmart. If you haven't yet, spend some time at TDIClub or myturbodiesel.com and read the threads on the subject, the general consensus is that anything that improves lubricity for crap US fuel is a good thing.

I just recently switched from PS to XPD and my overall fuel economy has improved from 32.5 to 35.3 (~40 hours of drive time, trip 2). Bear in mind, this is with a Revo Stage 1, Conti DWS, and a lead foot.

I just liken it to taking vitamins, and the cost is almost negligible in the grand scheme of things.

TDI 4EVR

Man - trust me, my eyes are killing me from reading. OK, XPD sounds like kewl stuff. Where do I buy it. Also, from looking at the jugs it comes in - how the heck do you measure out 3 oz to put in your tank when you fuel up?

Thanks for your patience

Never mind - ordered a gallon from the link you gave me. If there is a source with lower shipping costs holler. As long as I plan to own this thing, longevity is a good thing. Also, as many miles as I drive every day - if indeed I get more mpg - that would be a very good thing.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

wrich73

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice! did you order the $46 gallon or the 40? The $46 gallon comes with a pump, a 16oz bottle that makes 1oz shots and an 8oz clear bottle that feels like its made out of ballistic plastic.
I just keep the 16oz handy and use it between my wife's car and mine, use the pump on the gallon to fill it back up. You can fill the 1oz shot and dump it right into the tank, pretty clean set up.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I highly doubt any additive improves MPG. Mine has been rock steady with or without DieselKleen which is much more readily available.

wrich73

Passed Driver's Ed
I highly doubt any additive improves MPG. Mine has been rock steady with or without DieselKleen which is much more readily available.

I said said the same thing---I was getting the same MPG with or without PS Diesel Kleen.
For the past two tanks I have been getting better overall mileage with the XPD. I mainly do city driving with some highway, about 14 miles to work, 14 miles home (about 5 of those highway) and my mileage has improved ~3.5 mpg. It isn't dramatic, but its nice getting 500 miles per tank instead of 450ish :)

Highway mileage is the same, but I can definitely say that since using the XPD my city mileage is back to what it was before I got the Revo Tune..dunno why, it just is :)