GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Cloth Seats VS Leather

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I wasn't too happy with the leather offered on the GTI. First I would have had to spend almost $5k more to get it plus all kinds of other stuff I didn't want. Plus the leather itself was just okay with vinyl in all places but the seating surface (this is the case with almost all new cars expect for highend cars like the E55). I also didn't care for the extra bolstering that I would rub on all the time getting in and out of the car even though they offer awesome support. The standard seats are already pretty nice so I went with having a high quality leather installed on all areas were the cloth is standard and had some tasteful red stitching put in to match the steering wheel and shift boot.

Civilized_Hatch

Ready to race!
good points guys... I'm now leaning towards the cloth option and looking to get a good non harmful protectant on it... that being said, I have to go to a dealership again to check out both options in person... I've forgotten how each looks/feels

Mr. dB

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had both -- a 2007 MkV with leather and a 2010 MkVI with cloth. When I had the leather one I thought that I'd prefer cloth, but having experienced both, I'd now prefer the leather. Mostly it gives the interior a more upscale feel.

jedredgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I love the leather. I have had the red/blue stipe pattern cloth, the plald, and several versions of leather. This is my 5th GTI, if I can count the R32 (black Koenig leather) as a GTI? Since I am older now, the leather makes the car seem more adult, IMO.

Bikie

Passed Driver's Ed
Traded my 2008 GTI for 2011 GTI , 3 years no wear issues with cloth seats. The way you tell real leather from leatherette is leather eventually cracks.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I debated on this as well, but with a dog and future kid, the ability to wipe the seats was the deciding factor on going with the leather. I am very happy with the decision, love the look and already have had a few messes in the back that I think would have stained the cloth.... My 2 cents...

Geofux

Ready to race!
I have a hard time choosing leather over cloth depending on the vehicle... I had a '90 jag and that had the best leather. IMO, that's the best...

I found the leather didn't go well with the red stitching on the car because the gti leather doesn't have that stitching... big killer for me. I think the red stitching with the jacky cloth really makes it 'pop'.

ataman

Ready to race!
I really like my leather, I know I need to take good care of it :)

McQueen77

Banned
I have a hard time choosing leather over cloth depending on the vehicle... I had a '90 jag and that had the best leather. IMO, that's the best...

I found the leather didn't go well with the red stitching on the car because the gti leather doesn't have that stitching... big killer for me. I think the red stitching with the jacky cloth really makes it 'pop'.

I agree. The leather in the GTI doesn't look right to me with the rest of the interior. The jacky really works with all the trim and stitching touches and seems to visually pull it all together for me. If it were an A4 or something, ofcourse it would have to be leather.

But I totally see where people are coming from re: stain and cleaning. Leather definitely wins in that aspect

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I guess we can agree that there are two choices because both look good and some people like leather and some like the jacky cloth. Then you get the rare person like me that wants the GTI/with sunroof package and was not willing to spend the $5k to get the factory leather as part of the Autobahn package so I just had real leather put in with the matching red stitch.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Traded my 2008 GTI for 2011 GTI , 3 years no wear issues with cloth seats. The way you tell real leather from leatherette is leather eventually cracks.

not if you take care of it! Where did you get that from?!

OP - the seats are different in form and function too...."top sport" seats = leather, regular GTI = cloth. You do need to check them both out.

FYI - I have 3 young 'uns and opted for leather due to 1 - preference and 2 - vomit/poop factor. :rolleyes:

Geofux

Ready to race!
I've been very happy with the cloth in my car... my seats have the fabric guard and it has saved me so many times. :D

Boner

Passed Driver's Ed
Go with the leather it cleans up real well with a damp cloth . More pop on resale with leather .

twisted by dezign1

Passed Driver's Ed
The leather seats are more comfortable and make the cabin feel a lot more luxurious than the cloth seats. Although the plaid seats have been a staple in the GTI, the leather just makes the cabin feel complete whereas I always feel as if something is missing when I drive GTIs with the cloth interior.

Also, leather is easier to clean and has a better resale value than cloth.