GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Frequency Intelligence Exhaust Catback Review

ws6616

Ready to race!
So, I posted a thread before asking if anyone has experience with Fi exhaust on their MK6 GTI, and it seems like nobody has any experience. As a result, because my friend's friend got me a sweet deal on the exhaust, I'm going to give it a try and write a review on the exhaust system.
This is my first time writing a review, so it's not gonna be as structured as others', so bear with me on that.

*I am not affiliated with Fi at all as of today (1/22/2017).

What is Fi?
Fi Exhaust (Frequency Intelligence) is a company based on Taiwan, and makes aftermarket exhausts for high end performance cars, such as BMW M, Mercedes AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. What is unique about Fi is that the company utilizes valvetronic technology to control the exhaust.

Valvetronic? What's that?
Some say the term "valvetronic" is patented by BMW, but I can't confirm that and for the ease of my writing, I am just going to call it "valvetronic."
Valvetronic, in essence, is the technology of having a valve inside the exhaust system that allows the exhaust to branch into two paths. When the valve is opened, the exhaust gas is passed through a less restricted route, allowing more fluent flow of the gas and thus, increase power output as well as exhaust sound. On the other hand, when the valve is closed, the gas is passed through a more restricted route (but still less restrictive as the stock tubing), and the flow of gas is restricted. This will create a more civilized engine sound and power output compared to having the valve opened, but still better than stock tubing.

Why Fi?
Why did I choose Fi? Well, I have the following reasons:
1. Fi is a Taiwanese company, and since I grew up in Taiwan, I want to give the company from my hometown a try.

2. Video reviews of the exhaust system on mk7 GTIs show that the loudness of the exhaust with valve closed is not much different from stock, so I have some confidence in it. I had a stock exhaust setup with muffler and resonator deleted, and even though the exhaust note is very nice, the drone was killing me and my roommate gave me shit for the drone. As a result, I want something that gives me the ability to control whether I want it loud or gentle.
Plus, my buddy got a set on her E92 M3, and with the valve closed it sounds pretty much like stock, so I figured if it's going to be quiet and civilized on a V8, it should be fine on a 2.0T.

3. The company was at SEMA, with Ferrari, GTR, and some other cars. You can't really go wrong with companies that are showcased at SEMA, right?

4. The company partnered up with Liberty Walk at TAS, and if LB partners up with them, then that means it has some good things about it.

ws6616

Ready to race!
The Ordering Process

The Ordering Process
The ordering process was fairly easy. I hit up Fi's USA distributor and placed an order, and that's it.
However, the wait time was 4 weeks, as Fi had to make the exhaust, box them, and ship them to the USA. Normally it wouldn't take this long, but given the holiday season (shipping date was almost Christmas and New Year), LAX was extremely busy processing all the incoming cargo shipments. As a result, delivery date was postponed.

Unboxing
The exhaust was shipped in a standard cardboard box, much like the exhaust you'd get from any other sources. However, if you have the extra dough, Fi will ship you the exhaust in a wood crate!
My catback was received with the exhausts for other cars, like pictured below. Only one of the boxes belonged to me.

All the parts are wrapped in bubble wraps to ensure no damage will be done to the parts during the shipping process. (I need to figure out how to upload images to the site...)

After this part, I left the installation to the professionals at Auto Talent, because the exhaust needs to be wired to the battery and the vacuum for the valve to work.

Attachments

• 15977841_10157992344295366_1241961173559623206_n.jpg
    15977841_10157992344295366_1241961173559623206_n.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 176

ws6616

Ready to race!
Performance

The performance aspect of the exhaust is simply amazing. Although Fi showed that their products do yield some gains in terms of performance numbers, the actual gains are none of my concern. If i was looking for number gains that I can actually feel in the car, I'd include the downpipe in this purchase as well. However, since I have no plan to go Stage 2 any time soon, I've determined that a catback is sufficient enough for me.

The performance aspect that I'm referring to, hence, is the sound produced and functionality of the exhaust. Where should I begin though...

Well, when WOT, the sound when the valve is opened (thus making it unrestricted) is loud and mean. It feels like your car comes alive, and is eager to push you to the limit of yourself and the car. Then, if you close the valve and go WOT, the sound is toned down, but is still mean.
Under normal driving, with the valve closed, the exhaust feels very much stock-like, but just a little bit louder. With the valve opened, the deep exhaust growl accompanies you through your journey, but it does not get annoying at all.

Oh, did I mention anything about drone? No. That is because this setup, whether you're WOTing or the valve is opened or not, there is zero to minimal drone. AT ALL!

Then, there is the auto mode. Auto mode automatically opens and closes the valve based on the air intake of the engine, hence it is connected to the vacuum line. With this mode, the exhaust behaves civilly under normal driving, but when you push the gas, it opens itself for a more aggressive sound. It is simply amazing!

The exhaust comes with 2 remotes, so you, the driver, are able to open/ close/ or set it on auto as you travel. This is a nice touch and very needed feature, especially when you're hooning around the road and you see a cop a couple blocks down the street. That's when low-key is the sh*t!

Conclusion:
Yes, the exhaust is pricey itself, and then there is shipping, installation, and tax. But is it worth it? Hell yes! If owners of Ferrari, Lambos, Porsches, AMGs, and Ms are getting their exhaust from this company, then it is for sure worth it to put it on my GTI.

But what makes me think it is completely worth it is the performance aspect. No drone, the ability to control how loud you want your exhaust to be, and good exhaust notes make it money well spent. My previous exhaust setup was stock with muffler and resonator delete, and although that setup achieved the goal I was looking for, it simply produced too many drone all the time, and made me sick of it after a while. This setup (the Fi one) checks everything box of the things that I'm looking for, and it is definitely worth the money and the wait.

There you have it, my verdict of this setup. The weather hasn't been perfect here in LA, so I will try to make a sound clip video when I have a chance. In the mean time, you can Youtube video clips of the exhaust to get a grasp of how it is.

Please comment if you have any questions. Thank you.

ws6616

Ready to race!
Lol why is it top secret? I don't want one. Just curious how much they are for real.

I don't wanna say it in public because i got a ridiculously good deal on it and as far as im concerned it's probably gonna be a one time deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ws6616

Ready to race!
Pictures of the exhaust off the car? Welds? Fitment?

I don't have the off the car exhaust pics cuz i let the shop handle the install.
Looking back i should have taken some close ups of the exhaust when we were unboxing.

But here are the photos that i took when it was still in the box

Fitment wise i will take one when the weather is much better.

Or you can come see it yourself since you're pretty close to me

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
did you get its for less than 1000?

If not its to expensive imo.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I don't wanna say it in public because i got a ridiculously good deal on it and as far as im concerned it's probably gonna be a one time deal.

So it's probably $2300 for those who don't have a hookup. Pretty pricey for what it is.

ws6616

Ready to race!
did you get its for less than 1000?

If not its to expensive imo.

Well it does have a valve in it so it's not your regular catback

Besides, it is made AFTER the order is placed, not made and then sitting on the shelf waiting to be shipped