GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing my mkvi GTI with mkiv GLI

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hello everyone. I've lost my mk6 GTI and looking for a car to replace it with.
The mk7 seems like a reasonable upgrade but why limit myself to a boring newer GTI?

I'm looking at this mk4 GLI with 80K miles for $8k. It's pretty clean, not sure mechanically (probably go for a pre purchase inspection). Has anyone had any first hand experience with the mk4 1.8T?

zrickety

The Fixer
I had a wolfsburg Jetta 1.8T...awesome car. The center console fell apart but the engine never gave me any trouble.

zrickety

The Fixer
I was on stock suspension, it was really good. I think $8k is a lot for an mk4 though, spend a couple grand more you can get a stage 2 mk6 or a really nice mk5.

clownish

just clowning around
I would personally stay away from MK4s. They have so many more problems than Mk5s (and Mk6s since they're basically the same) and above. Yes, our platform has its own set of issues, but as much as people like to lose their minds over tensioner guides and water pumps, there's really only 2-3 things that you have to watch out for in a gen1 tsi motor and the rest of the mk5-6 chassis is pretty solid. Not too many leaks, rattles, obscure problem areas compared to the older gen Volkswagens.

I went through this very argument for a long time because I wanted a mk4 r32 as a daily but in the end, I got offered a very cheap mk5 so I went that route. Mk4s are cooler - they're what got me into VWs in the first place, but actually owning one without being a garage owner or mechanic was very offputting. Kind of like wanting to own a b5 s4 but not wanting to have to sell a kidney to afford repairs on a modded one.