GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 door passenger door stuck closed

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
So I've got a replacement latch and am trying to get my passenger door open. I read threads that mention removing the outer handle, but I can't get the key hole cover off at all, there is not even a notch for a screwdriver like the driver's side has. I've also tried hitting unlock while holding the door release handle, no luck.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this door open?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
To clarify.. the key fob does not unlock any of your passenger doors and the unlock button on the inside of the driver door or passenger door also doesn't work?

Is the handle on the inside passenger or outer passenger door not functioning?

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Correct, neither button has any effect. Neither handle opens the door currently.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Wow... i would call that a safety issue and call VWOA on it. Imagine a motorist unable to exit a vehicle in an emergency? They must know about this or at the very least want to help resolve it for at least public interest cuz #dieselgate

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
At 260,000 miles I would think they'll just tell me to bring it to a dealership. Anyone have a diagram of this mechanism?

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
So knowing the latches pull on the bolt release manually. I am assuming my door is locked and without a working latch I have to break it out. Anyone ever see a diagram of the latch internals? I don't have my ETKA pc around right now.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
So I've got a replacement latch and am trying to get my passenger door open. I read threads that mention removing the outer handle, but I can't get the keyhole cover off at all, there is not even a notch for a screwdriver like a driver's side has. I've also tried hitting unlock while holding the door release handle, no luck.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this door open?

That's nuts. I don't know what to do in that situation. Only the driver's door has a keyhole. No keyhole on the passenger side.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
The ONLY option I see is to cut a hole in the inside door panel and smash the latch to get it to release. Then replace the latch and door panel. I'll get pics when I do it, in case anyone else ever has this issue.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
I have no ideas why you have a keyhole on both sides, 4 door maybe?

I got mine off. Incase anyone runs into this in the future, how I did it follows.

Cut off back half of the Inside door panel, remove black plastic cover by lifting while pulling out. Then take a screwdriver and hammer and smash open the latch mechanism. This is what you'll see once the plastic is broken.

Image not working, link is at. https://ibb.co/iRKwQ9

See the tab I circled, insert a screwdriver on the top side of this and you can manually rotate the latch mechanism to get it to let go.

This is very difficult to get to, the latch is way tougher than it appears to be. After the door is open, replace as usual. Then buy a new interior door panel and replace.