GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for someone to check tensioner

JonVW

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys I’m in north New Jersey and my GTI is just approaching 93k miles. Earlier I tried checking to see if my timing chain tensioner was updated with a small mirror but I just couldn’t tell. Now that the car is getting higher and higher mileage I thought it would be by time to have a knowledgeable person check it out. Anyone in the area willing to come by and help me out? I’d totally throw a few dollars at you for the help! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonVW

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm starting to freak out about mine too. Have you gotten any quotes from shops up here?

$260 from one shop so far which I find ridiculous. I mean that’s a good amount in just replacing it

smanierre

Autocross Champion
If you can get a somewhat decent picture of it and put it up on here i'm sure some people would be able to help you out with identifying it.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
If you can get a somewhat decent picture of it and put it up on here i'm sure some people would be able to help you out with identifying it.
It's easy to get a good look at the tensioner if you pull the front passenger wheel, wheel liner, and turbo outlet pipe. The whole job is only a couple of screws and will take 15mins once you have the car on jack stands.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I just looked my VIN up and it says it’s not part of this current litigation would that mean it’s the current revision?

I'm not sure, would be easier to tell by build date probably. What year?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It’s a 2012 I believe early like 4/12

So you're right on the line. At that mileage though you're near the point of replacing the chains though. I'd check the chain stretch with vagcom if you can and then if it's bad enough just do it all

Dubbinj

Passed Driver's Ed
So you're right on the line. At that mileage though you're near the point of replacing the chains though. I'd check the chain stretch with vagcom if you can and then if it's bad enough just do it all

Do you have a link for how to check the chain tension with vag com? I tried searching but that 116 pager is a doozy.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Do you have a link for how to check the chain tension with vag com? I tried searching but that 116 pager is a doozy.
Uglybastard will know if he sees this, just put it on his Instagram lol. I believe you just go into engine and find the measurement for block 93

DELETE

Autocross Champion
It's easy to get a good look at the tensioner if you pull the front passenger wheel, wheel liner, and turbo outlet pipe. The whole job is only a couple of screws and will take 15mins once you have the car on jack stands.
This. If you can change a flat you can do this job lol.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Copy and paste from one of my posts in the Official Timing Chain Tensioner Thread:

You can measure the camshaft phase position at idle (block 093) using vagcom or OBD2. This number shows how far the camshaft angle is from what the car expects. If this number is out of a certain tolerance (-4 to 4) it is an indication that the camshaft timing chain has stretched or jumped a tooth.

And to everyone trying to figure out which tensioner they have based on build date, whether or not your VIN is included in timing chain litigation, etc: You're not going to get a reliable answer from those sources. It may give you an indication but THE ONLY WAY TO TELL FOR SURE WHAT REVISION TENSIONER YOU HAVE IS TO GET UNDER YOUR CAR AND LOOK! It's not that hard people. Set aside 20-30mins of your day with a few basic hand tools. Pic below of old/new revision tensioner. They're easy to distinguish. Photo credit New German Performance.

Last edited: