GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dsg clunk?

FF_animal

Ready to race!
How does your dsg downshift when in manual mode. Noticed the 4-3-2 downshifting there is a slight clunk you can hear with no music on and windows down. Upshitifing is silent and d mode and s mode silent. Only hear it in m mode. Car drives fine so I'm just curious if this is normal for a dual clutch box.

I'm very much aware of low speed chatter and other things such as the low speed jerk which everyone says is normal. Just curious about this downshift noise. Again it doesnt sound horrible but curious if any other people with a dsg can hear the downshifts and gears moving about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Mine clunks into 1st with same scenario so I can hear it. Always done it at least as long as I can remember. Been tuned since 1k miles and dsg tune since 10k

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Mine clunks into 1st with same scenario so I can hear it. Always done it at least as long as I can remember. Been tuned since 1k miles and dsg tune since 10k
I'm wondering if a mount may be bad or if the dealer didn't fully get my subframe collar kit back in properly. The clunk is only on downshifts in manual mode. Doesnt feel horrible but I'm wondering if a mount or subframe is moving or if this box is just loud and I never really noticed.

I have adjusted my driving style to drive the dsg properly since owning the car and I am aware of the quirks it has. Just wondering if the loud gear changes are normal.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Mines always done it, usually when rolling to a stop 3-2 downshift. metallic clack sound. Pretty sure its solenoids in the mechatronic. Drives fine though, shifts great, never had any codes so ignore it for now

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I was getting absolutely sick of the downshift clunk. Thought it was normal.

Installed a odgbone mount two weeks ago and to my surprise it almost completely went away. Does not feel violent anymore, no more clunk. Highly, HIGHLY recommend.

Already had a dogbone insert and engine mounts, but the mount/arm itself is what really did the magic.

Other noticeable benefits:
Less vibration when crawling/upon takeoff
Smoother stops
Smoother launches
No idle vibrations
Smoother, crisper gear engagements in general

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Which dogbone miunt did you install? Might give that a try if the motor and tranny mount dont help.
I was getting absolutely sick of the downshift clunk. Thought it was normal.

Installed a odgbone mount two weeks ago and to my surprise it almost completely went away. Does not feel violent anymore, no more clunk. Highly, HIGHLY recommend.

Already had a dogbone insert and engine mounts, but the mount/arm itself is what really did the magic.

Other noticeable benefits:
Less vibration when crawling/upon takeoff
Smoother stops
Smoother launches
No idle vibrations
Smoother, crisper gear engagements in general

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I got a torque solutions but they pretty much all do the same thing.

I'll side that the post above could be accurate for some with actual internal issues. With how mine was clanking I thought it was internal, luckily I was wrong.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Regardless though i'd recommend an upgraded pendulum arm for sure anyway as a good mod. Love my 034 one, noticble difference, and you wont have to worry about snapping the OEM one like some people have.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I've noticed that aggressive driving and hard braking while firing off the left paddle the downshifts are smoother. It seems low speed manual mode downshifts while braking lightly show a more pronounced downshift clunk. Maybe this is a characteristic of the dsg?