GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Updates for Canada on Timing Chain Tensioner Failures on the 2.0 TSI

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
I saw this Post, anyone know if there are any updates for Canada on the 2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Failures.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116214

I was going to fix mine but if they will extend the warranty, I'll they them repair it.

No, this is a different type of if you e-mail the lawyer they say it they can only guarantee $ for people who have blown their motor.

If you haven't blown it they ask you to pay them a fee and they will try and get you money for replacement but no guarantee.

It is possible that in the future VW will extend the warranty but not right now

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
No, this is a different type of if you e-mail the lawyer they say it they can only guarantee $ for people who have blown their motor.

If you haven't blown it they ask you to pay them a fee and they will try and get you money for replacement but no guarantee.

It is possible that in the future VW will extend the warranty but not right now
Thanks, yes motor is blown.
I purchased a VW Replacement head with all the valve gear installed and currently in the process of doing it myself. I have the intake off and working on loosing the turbo from the head.

gtibot

Ready to race!
Just FYI, I tried to get VW Canada to pay for it but no luck. We're stuck with paying for the cost to fix ourselves. I have almost 200K and no problems yet, but will pay to have it fixed since I plan to keep car for awhile.

BuffMcBigHuge

Try and get your oil changes done more frequently. This can minimize the potential for failure.

Also, the dealer told me that I need to have a CEL for them to even consider a tensioner and guides replacement, due to regulations at VW Canada.

... I wonder if they can spoof it at the dealer to approve the warranty request.

Bs180

Just FYI, I tried to get VW Canada to pay for it but no luck. We're stuck with paying for the cost to fix ourselves. I have almost 200K and no problems yet, but will pay to have it fixed since I plan to keep car for awhile.

200k on the old style tensioner? Anyone know if there’s any way besides ripping into the engine to see if the tensioner is the revised one it not. I’ve had the pleasure of having to swap in a new/motor because of the oil baffle and I don’t remember if the engine I swapped in was a 2012+.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
200k on the old style tensioner? Anyone know if there’s any way besides ripping into the engine to see if the tensioner is the revised one it not. I’ve had the pleasure of having to swap in a new/motor because of the oil baffle and I don’t remember if the engine I swapped in was a 2012+.
Checking the tensioner is really easy. The Humble Mechanic made a video on how to do it: How to Check 2.0T TSI Timing Chain Tensioner

If you want to get a better look at it (without a mirror) you can pull the passenger wheel, fender liner, and turbo outlet pipe. Also super easy and will take 5mins after the car is up on jack stands.