GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone mount weirdness

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
I just had a 65a dogbone mount installed in my GTI (DSG) and the 0-10km/h vibrations even after a good 2hrs driving are not great... My wife would not approve. Is 2hrs enough driving to break them in, or do I need to wait a bit more?

If the vibrations are still that bad after a week (about 400kms for me) I'm going to take it out. However the one thing I did notice is that this dogbone insert has fixed a lot of drive train slop, but more importantly to me it seems to have 'fixed' this weird steering wheel vibration at 110km/h I couldn't seem to get rid of by balancing my wheels.

Do you think the original subframe bushings need replacing? The car hasn't done a huge amount of kms so I am sceptical.

Will the original bushings be fine after taking out the mount insert?

Walahmelons

The mount is more than likely going to cause a lot of vibration even after it break in. It is much stiffer then what was originally in the vehicle

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
you got the insert not an actual mount?

I installed the 034 billet insert (its super easy to install and helped with the slop) i barely have any vibrations from it.

That being said there are vibrations any time you stiffen something up in your car you will get vibrations. Dogbone inserts are one of the most NVH (vibrations/noise in cabin). You could try switching to the billet insert from 034 or CTS as these are only the bottom puck insert so theres still some flex at the top so not as much vibrations but not as sloppy as without a insert.

Or remove the insert because keeping that one in there is gonna keep your NVH at where you are.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
mine got way better after a week or two

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I installed the insert a long time ago and the vibrations with DSG especially reverse were insane. There was a thread at the time to modify the insert and would still function but cause less vibrations. I have it a shot and here I am 7 years later with it still in.

If its the insert, take it out, slice off the 2 small leg bits, and then trim the main section with a razor blade.. I ended up removing like 1/2" on both side and slid it back in. Improved shifting, improved vibrations. Reverse and air on is still a bit sketchy if on an incline but that's rare enough for me not to care.

Good luck!

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
I dont have dsg, but I have had BSG solid engine and dogbone mounts since 2014. Mine is still as loud and vibrates as much as the day I put them in. When I got my Southbend clutch with single mass flywheel it got even worse, but I hardly notice it anymore. Ive actually grown fond of the 2nd gear whine. Any time someone who doesn't know mods rides in or drives my car they think its about to break haha

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I started with hpa puck and had really bad vibrations. Replaced the actual dogbone arm with an aftermarket one (most any do the trick) and it is 100x better now. Less slop, NO vibration. I was dumbfounded

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
I started with hpa puck and had really bad vibrations. Replaced the actual dogbone arm with an aftermarket one (most any do the trick) and it is 100x better now. Less slop, NO vibration. I was dumbfounded

no Vibration you say, i had the 034 pendulum mount and it was too much nvh and got rid of it. which do you have?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
torque solutions. swear it drives SO crisp and brand new now. My oem mount wasn't showing any obvious wear signs either.

Also on full 034 engine mounts

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
There was a thread at the time to modify the insert and would still function but cause less vibrations. I have it a shot and here I am 7 years later with it still in.

If its the insert, take it out, slice off the 2 small leg bits, and then trim the main section with a razor blade.. I ended up removing like 1/2" on both side and slid it back in. Improved shifting, improved vibrations. Reverse and air on is still a bit sketchy if on an incline but that's rare enough for me not to care.

Good luck!

Yup...see here:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1766491&postcount=22