GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting rid of smelly ac

slobodan48

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

My AC smells of startup and when the fans are running on cool. I bought some spray that I wanted to spray the vents/ducts and spray into the fresh air hvac intake but I cant located it.

Does someone know where its located? I sprayed under the wipers but it went straight to the ground.

mrsaltybeard

I just had the same issue with mine. Replaced the cabin air filter and then bombed the interior with a Meguiar's black chrome thing. Hasn't stunk since.

Mercy

cabin filter

Just replace your cabin filter and you'll be fine. It's pretty cheap and it takes 2 minutes to replace.

slobodan48

Passed Driver's Ed
Its been already replaced. I got the dark charcoal Mann filter. I sprayed down the vents but cant located the fresh air hvac intake. Also car was idling with the AC running for about 15 min and there wasn't any water by underneath the car.
Now Im thinking the AC drain is plugged

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Its been already replaced. I got the dark charcoal Mann filter. I sprayed down the vents but cant located the fresh air hvac intake. Also car was idling with the AC running for about 15 min and there wasn't any water by underneath the car.
Now Im thinking the AC drain is plugged

The AC drains exit under the carpet below the dash, on the side of the exhaust tunnel (both sides I think), removing a bit of trim in the front of the footwell and pulling the carpet back a bit will reveal them, if you spray anything through the scuttle panel with the intention of it entering the fresh air intake it will end up on the ground as there is a channel that stops water being sucked in in front of the inlet! You’ll need to lift or remove the scuttle panel under the wipers to gain proper access to the inlet (left hand side on my uk RHD car).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slobodan48

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE: Replaced the air filter with the charcoal one, used compressed air to blow away the dust in the filter tray, I then cleaned followed ToMMyGuN method with the Nextzett Klima-Cleaner and & Nextzett Odor bomb and lastly used ArmorAll Vent & Duct cleaner.

There is no smell anymore. Car is like brand new!

slobodan48

Passed Driver's Ed
The AC drains exit under the carpet below the dash, on the side of the exhaust tunnel (both sides I think), removing a bit of trim in the front of the footwell and pulling the carpet back a bit will reveal them, if you spray anything through the scuttle panel with the intention of it entering the fresh air intake it will end up on the ground as there is a channel that stops water being sucked in in front of the inlet! You’ll need to lift or remove the scuttle panel under the wipers to gain proper access to the inlet (left hand side on my uk RHD car).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I count find the scuttle panel access to the fan. I sprayed all of it and just had the cleaner drain behind the wheels. I did the method posted above using the Nextzett Klima AC treatment and Netzett Odor bomb and got a puddle of water on the right hand side of the vehicle.