GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shorting the Shifter not a "short shift thread"

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
ok so ive been thinking about this for awhile i really cant stand how high the stock 6spd is i would like it 1.5 inch shorter cutting sounds like a bad idea cause im no laser level and id be worried about not getting it perfect. is there any other options? i found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...7fe225e7c&rvr_id=&ua=?*S?&itemid=350357094252

any ideas are appreciated. btw yes i know i can get a shift kit to shorten throws i will get one sometime but right now i just want to shorten it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You can trim the stock shifter down, but the max is only 0.5".....I did it on my MKV.

You can't screw it up either though, btw. But at the base of the shift knob, there are some plastic prongs & then a metal crimp ring around them that hold it to the nubs on the shifter.

You can't trim more than a 0.5" off because then the prongs will "bottom out" on a edge on the shifter itself....if that makes sense.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
There was a faint line/indent on the stock shifter (already) and that's where I cut it at

I'll take a picture and show you what I mean about the shift knob "bottoming out" though....that'll explain what I mean

Maybe you can go lower, but it'll just screw up the prongs of the shift knob and that's what holds it to the shifter

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Took a couple pictures before I traded the car in....here ya go: