GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

“First” oil change and routine maintenance

LarryButamore

Are there any lube points or grease zerts I should be taking care of with my oil changes? Bought my car a few months ago and had a dealer ship check it out and do an oil change right away but I will be doing most, if not all, the oil changes myself from here on out.

I live in Wisconsin so I plan on using 0w40, but at 112,000 miles does anyone have any recommendations for high mileage oil?

I also plan on changing the gearbox fluid soon, hopefully at the same time as the oil. Any suggestions for manual transmission fluids for high mileage?

This is on a 2010 Gti, I’m assuming the year won’t matter but I know there’s a few things different between the 2010 and 2011+.

AM407

Autocross Champion
No zerk fittings or any other lube points on the car. The only slightly odd thing IMO is that you can’t just buy a new crush washer for the oil drain plug - VW wants to sell you a new drain plug every time. They’re cheap, so no big deal, but I’ve also reused them and never had a leak.

It’s cold here too, so I’ve been using 0W-40 as well. Castrol Edge for me, which in the 0W-40 is the good stuff from Europe. I just went with the OE fluid from the dealer when I changed out the transmission oil. IIRC, that’s the best all-round option, especially for colder weather.

Not sure about high mileage - my 2010’s only got around 90,000 miles but it still feels pretty new. I’m not doing anything different because of the mileage. Just did a carbon cleaning though, and it was nasty. I probably left that a bit too long.

LarryButamore

Thanks for the heads up on the crush washer, I will probably just order a new one to be safe.

I'm hoping to do a carbon cleaning when I replace the intake manifold, its been throwing occasional check engine lights. It's on my list of stuff to get done before winter.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Always use a new crush washer. If you don't it will drip oil. My dealer sells just the crush washers.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Always use a new crush washer. If you don't it will drip oil. My dealer sells just the crush washers.

+1.

Buying a new plug every time? Can't buy new crush washers?

OP, did you say you live in Wisconsin or Russia?

Been using Mobil 1 0W 40 for as long as I can remember. Burns maybe half quart to 3/4 of quart between 5K mile changes. Just top off every 2-3k or so to keep it happy.