GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter wheels and tyres

squoval1

Hi guys. I'm looking for advice on what wheel/tyre combo i should get for the approaching winter conditions. I'm currently running the stock 18" detroits with Dunlop Sport MAX 225/40's. The car struggled a little last year having the worst winter in quite a few years. I was thinking about going down to 17" with a suitable tyre. Either way, 17 or 18" cost about the same here in the UK. I'd rather get another set of rims rather than changing over tyres. I'm not that clued up on wheels sizes 'ET's' and stuff, so would appreciate your comments!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
tirerack.com should give you some ideas for sizing. As for tires, I'd steer clear of Conti's, but look for Blizzaks, Michelin's, or the Dunlop winters. Tirerack also has those on there, so even if they don't ship to the UK, you can get an idea of pricing and sizes.

finklejag

Ready to race!
How about running these year round? They might be cheaper where you live then here in the States.

The Nokian WR G2

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I've run the extreme contact all-seasons and now the winters - both had bubbling issues in the sidewalls. They are very soft sidewalls. If you live in a rural area they are probably fine, if you live in a big city or with roads that may be lacking, I'd steer clear of them.

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
I've run the extreme contact all-seasons and now the winters - both had bubbling issues in the sidewalls. They are very soft sidewalls. If you live in a rural area they are probably fine, if you live in a big city or with roads that may be lacking, I'd steer clear of them.

Well that's great news for me living in Pittsburgh looks like I'll be getting new tires next summer instead of summer wheels. :-(

Sent from my iFone using Crapatalk