GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Have not tuned a K04 "yet" but it won't be a problem maximizing the power output. I think a lot of people are hung up on who makes the most power via a tune. The reality is that if you are even moderately competent at tuning, making power is the easy part. You can push a tune to the edge of a knock with a mix of boost and timing and that maximizes output.

However the finer details are the more difficult ones to get spot on. How is throttle response, how does boost build coming into and off the throttle? Smooth and consistent or are there gaps in the power band - not just WOT but also part throttle. How does the car behave during a gear shift? Does it overboost, underboost?

How does the tune respond to environmental conditions such as temperature? Changes in fuel quality? etc. Is it safe, is it consistent? Is it FUN and engaging to drive?

Those characteristics are actually tougher to get right and require a lot of experience, development, and seat time. Those are also the things you experience most when driving the car.

These are the areas that I hope to really stand out here. Like I mentioned, most tunes can maximize power (especially on a K03 or K04), what I am hoping to ADD to making power is maximizing driveability and overall enjoyment of the car.

I asked earlier how it compared to apr stage 2. I was curious because I'm not sure I'm really happy with my current tune. I am perfectly fine with it not being the quickest tune out there if it means it's that much better for my daily commute.

I'm thinking the issues I've got might be able to be fixed with a custom flash, but I should play around with the current program switcher and see how it drives with the different tunes first, especially stock. I feel like my intake is giving me an issue though...or it could be my dv, I have a rev d to install one of these days. There's a couple things I need to test first I guess.

I just wouldn't want to lose a ton of power, but a little bit of power for a better DD I can definitely consider.

I have another issue I'm not sure if it's tune related or lightweight flywheel related, I should find that out when I try the stock tune. The throttle just seems a little more sensitive than it should be when you're at an idle. The last update to their tune fixed that a lot, but it still feels like it's slightly there.

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Did not resist and pulled the trigger...this 45+ K virgin is time to get some extra torque...

Laimface

Ready to race!
That would annoy me.. i wouldn't mind having some crackles for a few seconds but i dont want like you had at 6:35/later where the entire time you were coasting its just pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop... for what seemed no real reason after the first like 3 seconds.

My reason for taking the map off and going back to the normal 98RON map after the Isle of Man TT!

I asked the guy who did the map if he could edit the activation RPM and duration and he gave such a silly price I told him to do one haha.

Bradleykinz

Passed Driver's Ed
No crackles this time around. I did spring for the data log refinement option, though.
Nice, I did the opposite. So installed the tune about an hour ago and it definitely feels faster than stage 2, that is after 20ish minutes of driving. I did not hear the crackle until i revved it in neutral. I will have to drive it some more in the upcoming days.
Here is a super short video of the crackles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfNmP356NP4

Last edited:

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Nice, I did the opposite. So installed the tune about an hour ago and it definitely feels faster than stage 2, that is after 20ish minutes of driving. I did not hear the crackle until i revved it in neutral. I will have to drive it some more in the upcoming days.
Here is a super short video of the crackles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfNmP356NP4

Nice glad you're enjoying it already. You have to be above 3000 RPM and have some load on the engine when you let off to get the crackles. That way around town it can be quite stealthy and not scare the neighbors :).

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Nice glad you're enjoying it already. You have to be above 3000 RPM and have some load on the engine when you let off to get the crackles. That way around town it can be quite stealthy and not scare the neighbors :).
does it do it like that other guys video where if you are on a long run and coasting in higher rpm that it just continues crackling? or does it only do it once lifted off and then just decelerates like usual? if that makes sense?

Laimface

Ready to race!
does it do it like that other guys video where if you are on a long run and coasting in higher rpm that it just continues crackling? or does it only do it once lifted off and then just decelerates like usual? if that makes sense?

My video is a 2003 Renault 172 Cup btw. The map tended to pop above 4k RPM even when off the throttle for a while, which in 5th gear was approx 80mph. The GoPro makes it look slower than it really is haha.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My video is a 2003 Renault 172 Cup btw. The map tended to pop above 4k RPM even when off the throttle for a while, which in 5th gear was approx 80mph. The GoPro makes it look slower than it really is haha.
i know.. im just wanting to know what their tune does is it similar to this or just a few pops on the same situation.

Bradleykinz

Passed Driver's Ed
i know.. im just wanting to know what their tune does is it similar to this or just a few pops on the same situation.
From the little of I have driven with the tune, I do not hear the crackles unless I purposely rev it up and take my foot off of the pedal. It is just a few pops. Some louder then others.

JohnoBurr

Ready to race!
I have the crackles tune and it does not do it like the video. I also have a catted downpipe so I don't know how much that changes how it sounds, but it gives some nice burbles on decel and downshifts but it doesn't last anywhere near as long as it does in that video. It's perfect imo.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie

The crackles stop 1-2 seconds after onset. They don't keep crackling as you coast.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Apr needs to get on that pop pop crackle tune asap, I like cobb pro tunes and what not but I trust apr more

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Apr needs to get on that pop pop crackle tune asap, I like cobb pro tunes and what not but I trust apr more

I think that if you gave us a shot to tune your car you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality as well as service. We have a lot of hours of development in these calibrations and there has been an emphasis placed on driveability as well as safety and performance.