GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wobbly tachometer?

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hi. I've noticed that the tachometer sometimes wobbles a bit. Not by much, but if I'm right at 2K, the needle would move between right below the fat marker and right above the fat marker. This only seems to happen when I have the foot on the throttle. My biggest guess would be bumpy roads and that would translate to some fluctuation in the pressure I apply on the gas pedal. I've tried setting the car on cruise control while on the same roads and don't have the needle issue.

decrescendo

Ready to race!
I've noticed the same thing but it's not due to road surface on my end. It started after I had my spark plugs changed.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Is there an actual hesitation when you notice the fluctuation? It could be just a side effect of drive by wire. The throttle on the golf is ridiculously touchy so you are likely correct that it is your foot moving.

The throttle on the 2.5L is the worst throttle I have ever dealt with and the only thing I really dislike about the car. I have looked into converting back to a manual throttle because it sucks so bad. Back in the day they made conversion kits for the earlier gen golfs.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I tried on my way to work to recreate your issue but couldn't. Maybe a sensor is acting up.

I have been looking into one of these to see if it fixes the wonky throttle.

https://gramsperformance.com/70mm-mk5-6-throttle-body-black.html

Direct plug and play and they come up for sale quite a bit for around $200. I think they have a black Friday sale as well where you can get them new for 200 and some change.

If I can find the right price I will give it a go.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I've noticed the same thing but it's not due to road surface on my end. It started after I had my spark plugs changed.
Have you tried putting the old ones back in to see if that resolves the issue, maybe a bad plug. The internal resistance within each plug is there by designed to help quell high voltage noise.

Just sayin