GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XGC75 - One for the Road

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
So I ran off the snowy road last week and the car ate a sign post, but not without losing some teeth. See this thread.

Fortunately I'll be covered by insurance, and so long as the car isn't totaled (which is unlikely) I'm using the opportunity to do some aesthetic upgrades I wouldn't have otherwise done because it's too expensive and not as important to me under my budget and priorities. That is, function over form, daily driven track sports car. With a big ass boot.

Yet seeing as my bumper is in pieces, my intercooler endcaps are broken and some grill tabs are broken, insurance is already going to cough up the dough to replace them. So why not spend an extra buck for the 35th edition bumper, GTD grill and S3 intercooler?

Some inspiration from Norway (Eastside78)

Been compiling a list of the OEM part MSRP (which Geico writes their check for) and replacement part cost, the difference of which represents the cost to me for the upgrade. It looks pretty excellent actually!

Grill Assy: MSRP $315, GTD Grill $375. +$50
Bumper Cover: MSRP $388, 35th edition $487. +$99 (OR, since the 35th edition bumper is a kit with the lip spoiler which needs replacing and its OEM cost is $288, -$189?)
Intercooler: MSRP $267 (stocker), S3 intercooler $330 (will cut hoses). +$70

maisonvi

Ready to race!
So you are going to get the IC upgrade? Nice.

I assume the shop will install it so I can get out of busting up my hands like you did with me installing mine!! Win Win.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
So you are going to get the IC upgrade? Nice.

I assume the shop will install it so I can get out of busting up my hands like you did with me installing mine!! Win Win.

Hahahaha you're on the hook for clutch plate install now :D :D

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
This from the MDOT (michigan DOT) website:

Question: Is having smoked tail light/brake covers legal in Michigan? How about the smoked ones with slashes or vents in them showing a small part of the original red lens?

Answer: MCL 257.686 requires a tail lamp to emit a red light plainly visible for at least 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

MCL 257.697 requires stop lamps to emit a red or amber light and be capable of being seen and distinguished from other lamps for a distance of 100 feet, including during normal daylight.
If the cover you apply prohibits the lamp from meeting these requirements then it is unlawful.

Looks like I'm going smoked black taillights. But only if I can trade them for dark red. Not sure how much rice it'll give off, cause lord knows I can't cook rice without mo powa.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Putting this here because it's relevant :thumbup:

Iiiit's baaaack! :happyanim:

Car looks phenomenal :thumbup:

Shop forgot to paint the lower valance, it came painted which neither of us were expecting. I think the non-oem valance which I was quoted for didn't come painted but since we went OEM becausequality it was finished and understandably overlooked.

Perfection First didn't throw me any curve balls on price either. We calculated separately and came to within $100 of each other so I paid 'em the difference because I like what they do. I'll be going back to get that valence painted, tint the fogs (paint tint) and install the headlights which are running late.

The bumper adds less detail than I thought it would but makes the car overall change more than I thought it would. It's a little weird with halogens, but the personality it now exudes is definitely more in line with my aspirations fot the car (k0fourbaby). Even my wife said the car looks faster, though she can't put her finger on why. Good summary.

Car drives great, definitely no damage to the chassis :happyanim: But unfortunately I'll need new pads. Car had been sitting around for to long and the brakes are more rusty than a plate on the Titanic.

S3 is also pretty great :happyanim:. Just a little bit more pull than before. Tiny tiny bit. Of course it's winter so there's not much for it to do. Lag on throttle tip-in is the same, so no change from the increase in post-charge volume. I do get better torque down low, in the 2400 to 2800 region, so overall lag is down a hair. I certainly notice that consistency though. What I had mindlessly attributed to the nature of a turbocharged engine is now gone, and I just noticed the attribute in its absence. Now, when I hit the gas, I get the same response every time. Simple, but very appreciated :happyanim:

From the S3ic install (cut hoses, ship did a great job):

butchered by autocorrect

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
So I've been saving a while, the collision worked out favorably and it's tax season so I'm making some moves soon. Also buying a TV. But before you cry foul, I don't currently own a TV so cut me some slack here. This laptop blows for watching Netflix.

Worst case scenario (expensive TV and low-end on return):
  • Tails sometime in the near future,
  • Stage 1 during APR's sale (March or April?) for the stock, 93 oct, 100 oct and valet maps, and
  • Mounting Sumitomo HTRZIII's onto my TSW Nurbs.
  • Beyond that I'll be dropping onto DG springs with TT strut mounts if I can swing it, but I'll give it a month to settle into the TSW's.

As far as more power goes, I'm actually going to give it some time. First, because I don't want to have a DP and tune when I roast my clutch. I'd rather have the money for the clutch ready to go if I need to use it and not spend 1200 for stage 2 only to have to make do with the stock tune (only way this doesn't pan out is if I buy stage 1 and roast the clutch. Then going back to the stock tune I wouldn't even have the 30hp from the DP). Also, I'm not too optimistic about using 18lb wheels with such a peaky powerband. Hop city. I might elect to do mounts before stage 2.

maisonvi

Ready to race!
So I've been saving a while, the collision worked out favorably and it's tax season so I'm making some moves soon. Also buying a TV. But before you cry foul, I don't currently own a TV so cut me some slack here. This laptop blows for watching Netflix.

Worst case scenario (expensive TV and low-end on return):
  • Tails sometime in the near future,
  • Stage 1 during APR's sale (March or April?) for the stock, 93 oct, 100 oct and valet maps, and
  • Mounting Sumitomo HTRZIII's onto my TSW Nurbs.
  • Beyond that I'll be dropping onto DG springs with TT strut mounts if I can swing it, but I'll give it a month to settle into the TSW's.

As far as more power goes, I'm actually going to give it some time. First, because I don't want to have a DP and tune when I roast my clutch. I'd rather have the money for the clutch ready to go if I need to use it and not spend 1200 for stage 2 only to have to make do with the stock tune (only way this doesn't pan out is if I buy stage 1 and roast the clutch. Then going back to the stock tune I wouldn't even have the 30hp from the DP). Also, I'm not too optimistic about using 18lb wheels with such a peaky powerband. Hop city. I might elect to do mounts before stage 2.

Looks good man. A TV is important too. Haha

I forget how expensive stuff for your car is. You wouldn't be happy if I showed you the spread sheet of money spent on my car.

Where will the stage 1 tune put you power wise you think?

Sent while "doing the speed limit"

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Likely around 225, 230whp. I'm likely around 195whp now. You reminded me though - The Lane auto show has a rolling dyno. That's the first part of may I believe. Want to go?

So I went for a drive last night after my initial review of the S3 IC. This thing is showing its worth the more I notice the consistency of power delivery. It probably didn't give me much of a whp bump since the IHI drops dead after 5.5k, but torque is better in the low and mid range so I wouldn't be surprised if my butt dyno was right about the improved acceleration. Seriously though, consistency is the best part. It's so gratifying.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Likely around 225, 230whp. I'm likely around 195whp now. You reminded me though - The Lane auto show has a rolling dyno. That's the first part of may I believe. Want to go?

So I went for a drive last night after my initial review of the S3 IC. This thing is showing its worth the more I notice the consistency of power delivery. It probably didn't give me much of a whp bump since the IHI drops dead after 5.5k, but torque is better in the low and mid range so I wouldn't be surprised if my butt dyno was right about the improved acceleration. Seriously though, consistency is the best part. It's so gratifying.

Yeah, reading things like this makes me want to do the S3 IC more and more.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
:thumbup: Finally got a chance to clean the car to showroom quality today. Tomorrow I'm out and about taking pictures, but today I took a few of the new Black Smoke LED tails and the 35th Edition bumper. Man, with a clean car this bumper is absolutely killer. Love it. :happyanim:

Looks a little strange right now with the halogen headlamps since the 35th edition GTI doesn't come with them, but my HID's should come in soon (hopefully. I paid for them almost a month ago). Also, that lower valance will be painted black when I drop the bumper to install the lights. I'm asking the shop to quote me for painting the rear emblem backing black as well.

Also, I'm going Stage 2. I'll flash to Stage 1 during APR's sale, buy a DP install it and get flashed to S2 before the dyno day late May. Should now be reading out around 245whp, maybe more with the S3 IC.

J-Dub1488

Ready to race!
Looks good! Love the bumper!