GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New guy with a 2011 GTI DSG

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Hi,

My name is Chris and I just bought a 2011 GTI 4 Door DSG. It's in very good condition and only had 20,500 miles when I bought it. I have to ask though, WTH is with people curbing the wheels on these cars? It's not like it's a big SUV. :iono:

So far I've only done a couple things to it. The tires were in bad shape from sitting for so long so I replaced them with a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+. man, what a difference that made. I also had the windows tinted.

I think a stage 1 or 2 tune is in my future. This car will be my primary commuter (~2 hours a day) and I'm not a fan of loud ass cars, so I'll be doing my research before I buy anything. I was thinking a Carbonio intake, catted and resonated DP, and the stock cat back.

Chris

2011 GTI by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I only curb my wheels when I'm drunk. Welcome to the club!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
I was asking myself the same thing when I got my GTI. Got mine two years ago and the stock rims were all banged up from curbs like wth. I haven't curbed them once since I've had the car.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Check the tensioner, it's a 2011 so it's probably the old revision

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
I have to ask though, WTH is with people curbing the wheels on these cars? It's not like it's a big SUV. :iono:

Personally, I think it has to do with "normal drivers" approach to parking.

It seems like most people use their tires as curb feelers; get as close as you can until you feel the curb, then turn away slightly. You might be able to pull that shit off with a 60 series tire and not do damage to your rims, but not with a low profile 40 series tire.

GG rims.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I only curb my wheels when I'm drunk. Welcome to the club!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

......had a drink in my hand and had taken a gulp when I read this....almost spewed it everywhere :lol:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Nice looking car man.........looks to be in great condition, take care of her!

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Nice looking car; congrats on the purchase. When you start looking into tunes look at buying a Cobb accessport and getting a tune from Stratified Auto. This will allow you to progress through stage 1 & 2 pretty cheaply as well as have the accessport to do logging and help with troubleshooting. It's what I wish I did when I started (accessport wasn't available for mk6 GTI then).

FWIW I think a 3"/catted/non-resonated downpipe hooked to the OEM catback is pretty quiet on these cars. You'll find a lot of options in this configuration but your options will be very limited if you narrow the field down to resonated downpipes.

As others have mentioned, look into the timing chain tensioner. Being a 2011 you probably have the old style tensioner which is prone to failure. The Humble Mechanic's videos are a good intro to timing chain tensioner failure:

How The 2.0T TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Fails

How to Check 2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Hi,

My name is Chris and I just bought a 2011 GTI 4 Door DSG. It's in very good condition and only had 20,500 miles when I bought it. I have to ask though, WTH is with people curbing the wheels on these cars? It's not like it's a big SUV. :iono:

So far I've only done a couple things to it. The tires were in bad shape from sitting for so long so I replaced them with a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+. man, what a difference that made. I also had the windows tinted.

I think a stage 1 or 2 tune is in my future. This car will be my primary commuter (~2 hours a day) and I'm not a fan of loud ass cars, so I'll be doing my research before I buy anything. I was thinking a Carbonio intake, catted and resonated DP, and the stock cat back.

Chris

2011 GTI by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

There is virtually no sidewall on the tires due to them being 18 inch wheels. Its quite easy if you arent used to such low profile tires.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for all of this info.

Nice looking car; congrats on the purchase. When you start looking into tunes look at buying a Cobb accessport and getting a tune from Stratified Auto. This will allow you to progress through stage 1 & 2 pretty cheaply as well as have the accessport to do logging and help with troubleshooting. It's what I wish I did when I started (accessport wasn't available for mk6 GTI then).

FWIW I think a 3"/catted/non-resonated downpipe hooked to the OEM catback is pretty quiet on these cars. You'll find a lot of options in this configuration but your options will be very limited if you narrow the field down to resonated downpipes.

As others have mentioned, look into the timing chain tensioner. Being a 2011 you probably have the old style tensioner which is prone to failure. The Humble Mechanic's videos are a good intro to timing chain tensioner failure:

How The 2.0T TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Fails

How to Check 2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I curbed my Enkei's due to some jackhole running me off the road. My instinct was to jerk right rather than get hit.

Oh well, back to changing my water pump, lol.