GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P2015 has anyone diagnosed this?

zrickety

The Fixer
I know it's the intake flapper position, I know it was covered by extended warranty, I know most people just swap the manifold out.

What I am wondering is if anyone has cleaned up the flaps or otherwise fixed their existing manifold? The arm hasn't popped off and everything from outside looks fine. Car is running great as well, just keep getting this code.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I know it's the intake flapper position, I know it was covered by extended warranty, I know most people just swap the manifold out.

What I am wondering is if anyone has cleaned up the flaps or otherwise fixed their existing manifold? The arm hasn't popped off and everything from outside looks fine. Car is running great as well, just keep getting this code.

I've been getting this code intermittently as well, and my manifold was already replaced once under warranty. It sounds like one of the common failure modes is just the flap position sensor. My guess is that when we get P2015 intermittently without notable symptoms, it's the position sensor getting flaky.

I'm already past the extended warranty mileage (150k miles), so I'm just gonna ride this out until it either a.) starts being symptomatic or b.) my next carbon cleaning (probably 200k if I can get away with it), and clear the code after a few days if it comes back up again.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
There's a few ways it can fail, if the flapper arm didnt pop out, the sensor itself on the passenger side of the mani can fail, you may have to remove intake mani itself to replace this, its behind the oil filter. The stops inside can get worn down causing flappers to extend past their stopping point, internal breakage of the flaps, the flapper solenoid can fail.

Since 2017 there is an updated intake manifold with an updated sensor, updated solenoid with extra fitting for a new vent with filter that is installed, beefed up flap stops, beefed up flapper arm. Its pretty cheap too like $150 I'd just replace it rather than worry about trying to install a new sensor and that not even be the issue and you have to take the whole mani off anyway.

VgRt6

Ready to race!

Just had this problem on my ‘12 GTI with 126k miles. VCDS was key to figuring out what was wrong. Measuring block 142, Fields 1 and 2 provide the actual and specified flap positions. The flap should either be fully open or closed and the actual and specified positions should be the same. Closed is 0% and open is something close to 99%. Use the Graph plotter on the measuring block screen to monitor the two positions. For my car the flap was partially broken but would still work. When it was supposed to be closed, it would get stuck somewhere between 2 and 6% at idle (instead of 0%) and then flutter between 2 and 15% under light engine load while driving. At higher load when the flap was supposed to open, it did so reliably to the fully open position and was steady there. The ECM triggered P2015 because it didn’t like that the flap wasn’t at 0% when it was supposed to be. I had a rough idle at times in conjunction with the code. This occurred when the flap was stuck at approx. 7-15%. When the flap was stuck at lower positions, but still above 0%, then the idle was steady.

I have some screen captures of graphs showing the fluttering at low load. Looking at them it was obvious what was wrong. I’ll see if I can dig them up.

I had to replace the manifold to fix my problem. There is a new design with a completely different actuating arm than on those that have been failing.

ahard48

Ready to race!
Just took my car to dealership to have this code looked into. They saw my car was tuned and ushered me right to the door without warranty help.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Just took my car to dealership to have this code looked into. They saw my car was tuned and ushered me right to the door without warranty help.

If you have a 2014 you wouldn't be covered under the 120k injector/ intake manifold extended extended anyway. Only for 08-12 currently iirc. It should be covered under power train warranty though if you had that still. Try another dealer if so?

I hate that getting warranty work done while modded at a VW dealer really depends on the dealer, the service writer for that particular day and moment. Some people get work done with full bolt ons and a k04 while others are turned away at first sight of an intake.

My particular dealer I went to for my p2015 isn't known as very mod friendly but they got me in and out same day with a new manifold under the extended warranty. I went in with turbo back exhaust and stage 2 tune @ 114k. I just put my intake back to stock first and removed my boost tap from the manifold.

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks for the feedback guys. It sounds like the flaps are getting stuck, either from carbon or worn plastic pieces. I will see what I can do with it next weekend. The TDI bracket is interesting, keeps it from going out of limit. I had tested the solenoid with VCDS and that works like a charm. The revised 2017 manifold is news to me, nice to know I have a plan B.

ahard48

Ready to race!

Follow up on above ^^^^
I called VW of America and they told me to bring the car back into the dealership and they are going to see what they can do for me. Fingers crossed

zrickety

The Fixer

zrickety

The Fixer
Thread update...I ordered that metal cap from ECS. I'm just curious how many of you guys have installed it and fixed your P2015 issue? $50 is kinda high, but it beats swapping the whole manifold.