GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for advice on selling my non-smog compliant MK6 GTI in California (Ventura Co

shadax

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2013 GTI with under 50,000 miles. I didn't drive it a whole lot, but I went with a GIAC Stage II tune (Ultimate Racing DP/TBE, Unitronic Intake, R8 coil packs, GIAC Tuned DSG). It has some other mods (though unrelated to my situation: 1" lowering springs, ECS 15mm wheel spacers, Euro style LED tails, MK7 style headlights).

My big mistake was not holding on to my original exhaust, although if I did I suppose I would have to restore the factory tune to get it to pass smog anyway.

To make matters worse I think there's a crack in the current catalytic converter. I can smell exhaust coming from it during idle, but no CEL.

Anyway, I no longer drive this car as I've since upgraded (higher WHP but ironically quite slower than the GTI 0-60 lol). The GTI is just garaged now and I occasionally take it for a 30 minute drive to keep it nice and lubricated. It's in great shape, clean title, and pretty damn low miles (under 50K as mentioned).

What would be the most cost effective way to transfer it to another buyer? Again, I'm in Southern California in the Ventura area where I'm pretty sure smog is strict and won't pass this at all.

Any advice really appreciated.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Not having the stock downpipe will make it harder to sell the general public especially if they dont know much about cars.Your best options is to look around FB, offer up or Craigslist to see if there's anyone selling theirs, I'v seen a few around or Alternatively you can post them on the MK6 community on FB or on here and see if anyone wants to take it off your hands. Your best bet to sell it would be to part out the car.

Technically you can still pass SMOG in CA if you have a 02 spacer on the DP and flash it back to stock or stage 1 and hoping they don't do a visual inspection.

BTW beautiful car and its in great condition. im interested what car did you move up to?

shadax

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply and compliment! Man I love that car. Hearing the turbo spool up and expel is soooo pleasing. Great performance with what I've done to it, but I reaaaally wanted to go back to a RWD manual so I ended up getting a 2017 370z:

https://imgur.com/a/15x2LM8

I used to have a 2010 370Z and I loved that car, switched to the GTI when I thought I would be sharing the car with my SO at the time lol, that didn't work out so I decided to give the GTI some nice upgrades. Anyway, here I am now with both cars and trying to find a loving home for the VW.

It's been stressful on deciding what to do and not take a huge hit to my wallet trying to transfer it...

Thanks again for the info.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
In that situation it’ll be better to part out the car or take you chances and leaving all the mods and someone trying to low ball you. Realistically you can probably get around 10k for the car. Just because of the condition and the mileage. That 370z is beautiful too i like the updated look. Id like to get into one but their just too common around socal but they are nice cars no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadax

Passed Driver's Ed
Even if someone lowballs me, aren't I still stuck trying to transfer the title?

I.e. would I have to register it non-op, *then* transfer it?

I was looking for about 10K for it as well. I may list it at 11,500 and wait for a low ball.

Thanks again.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
transferring the title should be simple and there's just a title transfer fee i believe. I dont think its nessassary to register it as non op unless the registration is coming up and you dont want to register it. but that can also make it harder to sell because it may cost more to re-register it back again and go through inspection. im not 100% sure but i could also be wrong. that sounds like a good starting point! good luck brotha

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
You CANNOT transfer the title without a smog. I'm sure there is somebody on this forum you can buy an exhaust from. Probably local too. The GIAC tune is done by a shop, right? That sucks since you'll have to pay to have it removed, but maybe you can get the shop that installed it to undo it so you can get it smogged and then put it back on the car.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
You can buy a remanufactured OEM downpipe with both catalytic converters if you can't find a used one. Spending ~$1000 just to sell the car doesn't sound like fun, but if it's what you have to do to get it out of the garage maybe it's the easiest option.