GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wtf is happening to my rim!?!?

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
I honestly have no idea what is going on with this. Its only on 1 rim but its such an eye sore.

Ive read that these rimes are finished with a clear coat. Could it be that the clear coat is peeling? And for some reason this rim is not as shiny as all the other ones no matter what i try. Ive used wax, compound, polish and nothing makes the rim shine.

myMK6fool

Ready to race!

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
the sad reality of wear and tear
Doesnt make sense why its just 1 rim though you get me. All the other ones have a nice shine and this one is just horrible.

plat

Ready to race!
Are you the first owner of your GTI? If it is only happening to 1 rim, I suspect that it may been repaired/painted over. It certainly looks like it. My rims are still factory original and I am the only owner of my GTI. They still look great. No peeling paint or anything like that happening to them.

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
Honestly I would plastidip them at this point. https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-cat/ Real easy and have a ton of great color possibilities these days. Just a suggestion. Sorry - this totally sucks.
I love this look though i honestly didnt want to plasti dip them at all. I bought the car when it wasnt even that bad like the size of a dime but its gotten worse and in different areas

myMK6fool

Ready to race!
You can always hit up a dealership to see if they have any spare that they may have removed from another car. Sometimes they will sell them.

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
Are you the first owner of your GTI? If it is only happening to 1 rim, I suspect that it may been repaired/painted over. It certainly looks like it. My rims are still factory original and I am the only owner of my GTI. They still look great. No peeling paint or anything like that happening to them.
I am the second owner. I honestly dont know what it is but it is a possibility they tried painting or doing something to it and noticed it came out bad and didnt wanna continue

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
You can always hit up a dealership to see if they have any spare that they may have removed from another car. Sometimes they will sell them.
Yeaa thats my last resort i guess. I wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue. Ill call up my dealer and see how many limbs they charge me for one that might be lying around lol

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
Typical of a not properly refinished wheel after exposure to the elements.
Think it might have tried to be refinished once already?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
looks like the clear coat is coming off... I'd just try sanding/wet sanding it and re-applying some clear... but that's just me and I'm a daredevil like that :yikes:

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
looks like the clear coat is coming off... I'd just try sanding/wet sanding it and re-applying some clear... but that's just me and I'm a daredevil like that :yikes:
Sounds so easy but i feel i would just make it worse : / . Like even the black part thats supposed to be glossy is dull. Ive hit it with compound and polish and it did nothing

TakmaN

Ready to race!
It was probably poorly refinished if it is only happening to one wheel. Scour different classifieds for a set if you want to refinish badly. Or I'm sure there will be someone who will sell a pair and you can keep the other as backup.