GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R, that fast?

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
yeah the RS is a monster...you can tune them just as easily as the Golf R but it has some huge advantages...lsd like you mentioned...displacement...plus 5 cylinders sound sexy haha

He was just making a point of a tune golf R over and stock RS which would be a good match up even with the fwd of the RS

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
...my point is none other then that the golf r can run a 13.3, and that Gt King is wrong by saying that it can not. I am in the States, so i know very very little about the RS, but just based on the numbers, GT King's assertions don't make sense.... In Motor Trend magazine, it says the Golf R will run 0-60 in 5.5, and the RS runs it in 5.9. Now, I'm not saying that just because a magazine said it, it's 100% true. You have weigh all conditions, driver, etc. However, my main point is that the Golf R should be in the same range as the RS, and even if the RS is a bit faster, a couple tenths of a seconds is not that much. Plus weight is a huge huge factor.

wooduck

.... Zbeasty is now the second time slip in this thread with 13.3 or better, so no need to try and call him out. There's no reason the car can't do around that time, especially with awd. You figure a tuned GTI is running high 13's, obviously depending on the driver, but add in AWD, and your 60 ft time dramatically increases... as for your mates RS, if you put a stage 1 chip on the Golf R, and no other add on's, you are looking at 322 hp/321 tq. So that's more than the RS. The weight on the car is pretty much the same, but the Golf R may even weigh a bit less which is huge in racing. Plus you need to factor in your mates driving ability, and maybe Zbeasty and Wooduck are better drivers on the quarter mile, who knows..... I don't think you have any reason to call anyone on this....

It has been 6 years between trips to the drag strip so I'm no expert. I was very pleased with my 13.3. I did reckon on the night that I thought there was about another 1/10th in the car all done I might add with a GIAC tune only. For a good 60' time a DP is essential.

WOODUCK

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!
It has been 6 years between trips to the drag strip so I'm no expert. I was very pleased with my 13.3. I did reckon on the night that I thought there was about another 1/10th in the car all done I might add with a GIAC tune only. For a good 60' time a DP is essential.

WOODUCK

Mate... Am soo happy that both you and your son are enjoying your cars in good health. Now that a ideal dad and son relationship there. :thumbup: I reckon you should get in touch with VTech, a Swedish based tuner that I'm representing in Brunei / SG side.

Their maps and results have been nothing short of impressive. Feel free to email the owner Jonatan on jonatan@vetch.se .... Just let him know his dealer in Brunei recommended you. He can sort you out with custom tunes and all

newgtigeorge

Passed Driver's Ed
Since the R is a limited production car (at least in the States), the perceptual value of it's rarity has me intrigued enough to buy one. I just wish Volkswagen would allow us to have it with the choice of transmissions, Recaros, 270 hp, and all of the other goodies which are available everywhere else. Until the Dollar gains some strength against the Euro, I suppose we'll have to settle for the bare bones version.

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!
Since the R is a limited production car (at least in the States), the perceptual value of it's rarity has me intrigued enough to buy one. I just wish Volkswagen would allow us to have it with the choice of transmissions, Recaros, 270 hp, and all of the other goodies which are available everywhere else. Until the Dollar gains some strength against the Euro, I suppose we'll have to settle for the bare bones version.

Bro... Bare bones or not I'd still have once without question ay. To some extent I wish we could order the car in some semi complete modular form cos I'd probably do the following below:

1. Full CF Revozport body kit
  2. Custom Matte Grey respray
  3. Alcon 6pot BBKs (yellow calipers only)
  4. Full milltek turbo back exhaust
  5. Kw v2 coil overs
  6. BBS RSR 19 x 8.5
  7. R-line cobra seats

Sorry if I've gone off tangent but I'm merely dreaming here. Looking forward to what the US VW community have planned for the Golf R when it hits your shores.

zbeasty

Passed Driver's Ed

WOODUCK

Well you have more experience at the drags then me Wooduck. The 13.1 was only my second ever pass and the first pass was a 14.2 with the gear selector in S and no launch control. Now I'm hooked and want to go faster. Hoping for a mid 12 when all is said and done.

wooduck

Well you have more experience at the drags then me Wooduck. The 13.1 was only my second ever pass and the first pass was a 14.2 with the gear selector in S and no launch control. Now I'm hooked and want to go faster. Hoping for a mid 12 when all is said and done.

Mate, the need to go faster is all consuming atm. I've got a few more things coming and hopefully I can join you in the 12.0 sec club.

Joel1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been snooping around the forum for quite some time, and have had a mkv GTI. I'm very excited about the Golf R, and it's top on my list when it gets here (also interested in new Mercedes 250). I've been eyeing the Golf R since they made the announcement it's coming to the states.

Do you guys think the R will really be that much quicker then the GTI? If you take a 10% drive train loss on a FWD GTI, you are looking at around 180 whp. With a 25% drive train loss on an AWD Golf R (255 hp), you are looking at 191 whp. Plus the Golf R is going to weigh more. Now I know that the R will be more refined on the interior, the exterior looks great, and AWD is amazing to have. So the question is, are we really paying for all of these extras, and the motor and speed, 0-60, quarter mile, etc just going to be the same as the GTI???

I have driven numerous Golf R´s and I can say that the interior is 99% identical to our GTI´s. Yes you get the barely-Alcantara seats, but the blue needles in the dash isn´t refinement imo.. GTI interior is classy and cleaner.
Yes the R is AWD, but having no ability to turn ESP fully off means no fun =/ I would wait for the RS3, if you get that in the states..

stephen8512

Ready to race!
No way can a golf r do that time bro... :lol: my mates Ford RS barely does 13sec

atombomb33

Ready to race!
13.2 trapping at 100mph is pretty crazy...that 1.8 60' is awesome thank you awd haha

I want to pay off enough of my car to trade in on a golf R and still have lower payments...but i'm not sure its gonna happen

1.5 or 1.6 is more like it with an AWD car. I used to cut consistent 1.6s in my old Evo IX and my Evo X. It takes a lot of practice, but can be done once you learn the right technique to launch and AWD car :)