GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is It Okay to Remove the Hood Insulation?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
i removed my hood blanket 2 years ago. just it away 2 weeks ago. no paint issues. no regerts.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Removing it today. I'm going to have to do it carefully so it doesn't literally fall apart over my engine bay. It's already hanging half off. The thing is disgusting. Meanwhile, on my dads 09 Corvette, the insulation is spotless and neatly pinned flat to the underside of the hood. Looks brand new. Not sure what VW was thinking installing hood insulation that doesn't even properly fit.

if you have them wear gloves. i got a bit itchy after handling it last time.

wet rag to wipe down the metal when youre done will make it look great.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Removing it today. I'm going to have to do it carefully so it doesn't literally fall apart over my engine bay. It's already hanging half off. The thing is disgusting. Meanwhile, on my dads 09 Corvette, the insulation is spotless and neatly pinned flat to the underside of the hood. Looks brand new. Not sure what VW was thinking installing hood insulation that doesn't even properly fit.

I wonder if something got in there and tore it up? I'm pretty sure a squirrel got under my hood and started ripping up the insulation and dragging it away to build his nest.

That was 5-6 years ago, and I just removed the insulation and threw it away. Never noticed much difference inside the cabin, but the DI ticking at idle did seem louder from outside.

Hood paint is also totally fine, but we don't get Florida temperatures here very often.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
You could also replace it with aftermarket insulation... Dynamat or the like.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

My original one was starting to sag quite a bit, wasn't falling apart though. I had it replaced under warranty about 3 years ago and the new one is much better quality, it's still like new.

jbondbmw

Ready to race!
I have a 2.5 and it never came with one (bought the car new). I have no paint issues and agree that it is there to quiet the engine.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I wonder if something got in there and tore it up? I'm pretty sure a squirrel got under my hood and started ripping up the insulation and dragging it away to build his nest.

That was 5-6 years ago, and I just removed the insulation and threw it away. Never noticed much difference inside the cabin, but the DI ticking at idle did seem louder from outside.

Hood paint is also totally fine, but we don't get Florida temperatures here very often.

I had a possum in my engine bay a long time ago but it didnt make it up to the insulation

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
here's what gets me... they quuiet the engine to the outside world and then simulate noise with the soundaktor. y tho.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
here's what gets me... they quuiet the engine to the outside world and then simulate noise with the soundaktor. y tho.

Don't want to be polluting (all that noise)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
That carpet like thing under my hood is absolutely disgusting. Not only is it falling off, there's dust and other shit that comes out of it when you touch it. It's also falling apart. I can't believe the garbage VW puts under the hood.

I did some research and I read that many people just removed theirs. I also read a few posts where people say removing it will cause your paint to be destroyed. I live in Florida where it's over 100 degrees most of the time so that's concerning to me. If you touch my car in the hot sun, it's enough to burn you. Will the engine + heat from the sun cause any damage if I remove this? I really wish I mentioned this before my warranty expired so I could have had it replaced. Will it also become hotter under the hood without it?

Its like 69 bucks for a new oem one. Just buy a new one. That is what I would do.

gtimk6er

Passed Driver's Ed
Paint is not going to last long with your insulation off blocking the heat from engine. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk