GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam Follower Wear

boost pls

Passed Driver's Ed
DO NOT TRUST your Volkswagen dealer they all lie so disregard my last statement just did some 'recon' myself and no it still is the same

What you may be thinking of is the H2Sport cam and follower upgrade kit.

From what I understand the kit changes up the cam lobe a bit and upgrades the follower to use rollers.

Here's the catch: you have to send your cam shaft to them to be remachined, so it's not a 100% drop-in solution yet.

1FastGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
:mad0259:No a vw tech at the dealership told me this I heard it straight out of his mouth that lieing MF'r I won't go back to my dealer for sh*!

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
My follower fractured at 17k miles. 12k on APR HPFP.
VW denied warranty.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
My follower fractured at 17k miles. 12k on APR HPFP.
VW denied warranty.

I hear what your saying man... but you seem like an isolated case to be fair... never seen one fracture like that. Sorry to hear what happen... good luck man

Last edited:

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Try using a better oil with more zddp.. the stock Castrol is crap, and doesn't protect well enough for flat tappet followers

What are you guys using for oil?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion

ECS recommends checking your cam follower:

- Every 5-10k miles on highly modified cars
- Every 20-30k miles on stock cars

For our install PDF please click - Here

Andy

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
German Castrol (GC) is a superior lubricant for our engines:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643

And yes, the 5W-40 Castrol you usually see, is nowhere even close to GC.

Yep, I know the deal with the GC.. it's good stuff. The problem is that it's hard to find consistently everywhere. A lot of people are scared to use anything but 5w40 Syntec, since they think somehow their engine is going to split in half or something.

I tend to tell people to stick with the diesel oils just for accessibility and price, plus it's got extra zddp that should help combat follower wear. I haven't checked the uoa's for GC, but I'd assume it's got zddp on probably the same level since they don't have the same epa regulations over in Europe that would force the reduction of it like we do here

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Nah, we have Autozones here.. We used to buy the GC for my dads 2.5 turbo jetta, but it was a pain in the ass since they never stocked much of it, so they were always out, or one quart short, unless you kept going back to stock up on it before you needed it. Finding the Rotella is much easier since Walmart, Napa, Autozone, Advanced auto, etc all stock it, and have tons on hand

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
Just changed mine and it still looks brand new.