GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking noise after coilover install.

PNW_GABE

Installed solo werk s1 coilovers on my mk6 couple days ago. Ever since it was made this clunking noise over big bump I hit. I've installed coilovers on many cars but the mk6 has definitely been the most difficult. Seemingly did everything right not sure what is making the noise. Any help? Thanks

Video of noise: https://youtube.com/watch?v=iXMhZkPNqbkat

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Assuming the bolts are properly torqued, either the mount is bad or you forgot to reinstall the bearing.

lleron

Ready to race!
Subframe shifting or something hitting? Mine still makes noise and can be felt in the steering wheel when I hit a big bump but I'm pretty sure it's my swaybar hitting something.

Do you have adjustable endlinks?

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Per the video, either your top strut nut isn't tightened all the way or the three bolts that hold the strut mount to the chassis are not tightened properly.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Hm. Nope brand new top mounts and bearings.

Which mounts? The (recommended for the SoloWerks) stiffer 034 Motorsport ones?

Looks like the mount is flexing (really bad) or the strut rod nut isn't tightened all the way down.
Use a allen wrench/hex bit to hold the rod and a wrench to tighten the nut down

Bowthewow

Ready to race!
Had the same issue after installing bags, ended up the rear strut mount was loose and was making clunks on every bump. Now trying to find where a squeak is coming from. Seems like it is cause by the foam around the spare tire making friction.

PNW_GABE

Way late reply but ended up being two blown struts right out of the box. Not impressed with solo werks [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I used to have SW as well. Warranty was just about over and I had to get 2 rear struts. Unfortunately, I had to pay for shipping (of the replacements). For low budget coilovers, I would suggest WRD's instead. That's what I switched to.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
They used to all be the same, except rebadged & painted a different color with different warranties
WRD, SoloWerks, & Pwrhaus (BFI's version)....based on (if not the same as) the old FK Streetline design

Since then though...the FK Streetlines & SoloWerks switched to a ST (looking) style coilover setup

Old thread:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98740