GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

intake valve cleaning and timing chain tensioner replacment

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
I hear you on the internet hype, I've not had a single problem with my car so far " knock on wood", and even they said it's probably not necessary to do the timing chain tensioner, but if this thing did decide to pack it in, I think I'd be pissed I didn't spend the money as maintenance. I look at it like they're lots of people who throw tons of parts on they're car as mods, that weren't really necessary for the car to get you from point A-B complain about how much it costs for an oil change, to me the cars plenty fast for the street and fun to drive, but I would rather maintain it and keep it reliable than mod the crap out of it and have lots of problems cuz I cheaped out on up keep, don't get me wrong I'm thinking of getting a tune now, but im glad I did the valve cleaning and chain tensioner first, I think the tune probably wouldn't have worked to its full potential on my dirty intake valves.

Totally agree with this rationale.

I've heard that VW is going to start recommend the carbon cleaning as regular maintenance. I should probably do this, although I'm at 80K at 4.5 years of driving.

adiry

The only real issue is the suspect tensioner all the other stuff is not the problem from what they told me

I contacted HS Tuning (who put together a timing chain update kit: http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3619) regarding the necessity of changing the timing chain. They said the tensioner was the sole issue, and that "it is reasonable to believe that with normal use and proper maintenance that they will in fact last the life of the engine." The person I spoke to said he wasn't aware of any VW updates regarding the timing chain itself.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
booked to go in week after next for just the tensioner ....decided to go the same route as the OP and get the cleaning done at the same time. Want to get my euro switch recoded and have the mute button on the steering wheel added in place of the dame stupid talking car thing that wont shut off.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
took my car in. Did the tensioner. Couldn't do the carbon cleaning as I need my car for work.

Nice shop though, Al was informative and they got my car back to me when they said they would which is important!!

I'll take it back to get the carbon cleaning done in a few weeks.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
took my car in. Did the tensioner. Couldn't do the carbon cleaning as I need my car for work.

Nice shop though, Al was informative and they got my car back to me when they said they would which is important!!

Kato

Ready to race!

Thanks for sharing...How much did it cost you just the tensioner? Which part did they replace other than the tensioner?

kri$han

Passed Driver's Ed
Bump for this thread - so I take it Independent Tuning took the pics and shared them with you? Did you have to request that?

I need to get this done next week

I called Al at Independent Tuning and he wants almost $700 for the job :(

Last edited:

michel

Ready to race!
is there any good shop in or near Mississauga doing the tensioner replacements for a reasonable price? I was quote $1000 from the dealer.

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
Bump for this thread - so I take it Independent Tuning took the pics and shared them with you? Did you have to request that?

I need to get this done next week

I called Al at Independent Tuning and he wants almost $700 for the job :(
I did ask them to email me pictures, but I believe it's standard practice for something like this

zrickety

The Fixer
Send me $700 I'll email you pics of clean valves too lol

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Gonna get this service done at IT as well this coming week or so since I'm hear a little bit of rattling. Well, might be the noisy injectors, but seems louder than usual. Or it's maybe the cold. I dunno, but still should get it done.

The prices are still roughly the same, but will confirm when I pop over.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If anyone is planning on tackling this them selves I have the tool to hold the crankshaft pulley and the small round donut that's installed to hold everything together after removing the crankshaft pulley.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Just got the timing chain tensioner replaced.

First start, sputtered and got a CEL right away. Just turned off and went back into the shop. Sigh.

Kato

Ready to race!
Independent Tuning?

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Independent Tuning?

Yup, lol.

I got the tensioner replaced to prevent this... and it happens right when I replace it LOL

I think there wasn't enough oil pressure when I was cranking up (not too sure?) and it skipped a tooth... I'll probably call back to see if they can inspect other things too.

They were nice about it - they double checked and will re-do the timing chain on Tuesday.

:(