GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RCD-310 to RNS 315

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, wasn't sure where to post this considering it isn't a gti question but still a VW. My fiancé has a 2014 beetle with the rcd no Bluetooth radio in her car and she wants the navi one (rns 315). I've read some forums on the swap and seems pretty straight forward but wanted to get a definite answer as to how it will go. The swap looked easy and from what I read I would just need the donors vehicle VIN if the radio is locked and also a GPS antennae for the navi to work. Does that sound about right?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110801

mine arrives tomorrow i'll let you know. everyone seems to say its worth it... personally buying it because its safer to read a map/text off the dash than reading off my phone. apparently next CarPlay update lets you use google maps too

I'm currently on the RCD310 so it appears like it would be a major upgrade you know, not having a screen and all, but my only hesitation would be losing HD quality audio... If the sound seems flat, that would sucks. The question of blue tooth and steering controls seems to be answered in that thread in that they work completely fine.

The question would be then which version to go for because they start at $150 but go up to $300. I'm sure there has to be a quality/reliability difference between them.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
I'm currently on the RCD310 so it appears like it would be a major upgrade you know, not having a screen and all, but my only hesitation would be losing HD quality audio... If the sound seems flat, that would sucks. The question of blue tooth and steering controls seems to be answered in that thread in that they work completely fine.

The question would be then which version to go for because they start at $150 but go up to $300. I'm sure there has to be a quality/reliability difference between them.

it really depends on what phone you have. if you just have an iPhone you can use the one i linked which also has a bonus 1 gb of ram soldered onto the mobo. the more expensive = more phone compatibility.

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
So got the new rns 315 radio installed last night and unfortunately ran into some problems. Install was a breeze and everything works except the Bluetooth. I read up on some other forums about any solutions and from my understanding the RNS-315 does have internal Bluetooth but from the dealer is coded to not enabled. And it looks like the only way to enable it is coding it through a vagcom. Most vw's with the rns unit have an external module under the front seat so it uses that but if installing into a car without Bluetooth you need to enable it through vcds.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
So got the new rns 315 radio installed last night and unfortunately ran into some problems. Install was a breeze and everything works except the Bluetooth. I read up on some other forums about any solutions and from my understanding the RNS-315 does have internal Bluetooth but from the dealer is coded to not enabled. And it looks like the only way to enable it is coding it through a vagcom. Most vw's with the rns unit have an external module under the front seat so it uses that but if installing into a car without Bluetooth you need to enable it through vcds.

So if my car already has bluetooth, I imagine I wouldn't need to code through VCDs?

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
So if my car already has bluetooth, I imagine I wouldn't need to code through VCDs?

Correct you would just plug your Bluetooth module plug into the new radio and it would work off that

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm thinking my next step is to buy the obdeleven product and try to long code it myself to enable. Does anyone have the coding for enabling Bluetooth on the rns315?