GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Differences between the tsi and fsi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
So i was talking to a buddy of mine and he has a mk5 gti with a fsi motor and he told me he had to get s3 injectors and a hpfp for him to switch over to k04. My question is on the mk6 gti with the tsi engine you dont have to upgrade those things when going ko4 right? I was also told he would prolly be around 315 hp after hes done but the mk6 has like 366hp with k04 without those upgrades so whats the big difference?

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
There is technically no difference between an FSI and TSI engine as they are simply marketing labels that can be found on both engines. :)

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
There is technically no difference between an FSI and TSI engine as they are simply marketing labels that can be found on both engines. :)

Then why did he say it was necessary to upgrade to s3 injectors and a different fuel pump when going k04. I was looking at apr's website and noticed it said only intake, exhaust and intercooler with tune was necessary for k04 on the mk6 and why is the numbers so different?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So i was talking to a buddy of mine and he has a mk5 gti with a fsi motor and he told me he had to get s3 injectors and a hpfp for him to switch over to k04. My question is on the mk6 gti with the tsi engine you dont have to upgrade those things when going ko4 right? I was also told he would prolly be around 315 hp after hes done but the mk6 has like 366hp with k04 without those upgrades so whats the big difference?

The correct nomenclature is EA113 (Mk V engine until 2008.5) and EA888 MKVI engine.

You can find the differences here:

http://www.my-gti.com/1046/differences-between-the-gti-mark-v-and-mark-vi-engine

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
TSI gets HPFP. FSI does not. Never heard FSI needs injectors too but I guess so.

TSI = Chain driven
FSI = Belt driven

There's a range of different problems for the FSI (ie: cam follower). Sorry to disagree with Chris@Revo but these aren't the EXACT same motors (obviously). I've spoken to APR about the differences in detail and the TSI is viewed as the better "tuner" motor. It is also proven to be more dependable.

StayStetti

Banned
TSI gets HPFP. FSI does not. Never heard FSI needs injectors too but I guess so.

TSI = Chain driven
FSI = Belt driven

There's a range of different problems for the FSI (ie: cam follower). Sorry to disagree with Chris@Revo but these aren't the EXACT same motors (obviously). I've spoken to APR about the differences in detail and the TSI is viewed as the better "tuner" motor. It is also proven to be more dependable.

This. not the same.

502fasthatch

Ready to race!

TSI = Chain driven
FSI = Belt driven

Obviouslly there not because if they were the number for tsi and fsi engines would be somewhat similar but there off by like 50hp with k04. And the hpfp i thought was only necessary with stage 3 +?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
In defense for Chris, I think he mightve thought the OP was asking the difference between the TSI designation on the Golf R Engine cover versus the older FSI engine. Basically a modified EA113 with a TSI engine cover.

As for the EA888 vs. EA113 there are many.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
T Sorry to disagree with Chris@Revo but these aren't the EXACT same motors (obviously).

Timing belt or timing chain?

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
In defense for Chris, I think he mightve thought the OP was asking the difference between the TSI designation on the Golf R Engine cover versus the older FSI engine. Basically a modified EA113 with a TSI engine cover.

As for the EA888 vs. EA113 there are many.

No I knew what he meant, but I figured in a thread on a topic that has been beaten to death almost as much as "which chip", might as well turn it into something educational :)

TSI= vw forced induction direct injection
FSI = Audi normally aspirated direct injection
TFSI = Audi forced induction direct injection.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
No I knew what he meant, but I figured in a thread on a topic that has been beaten to death almost as much as "which chip", might as well turn it into something educational :)

TSI= vw forced induction direct injection
FSI = Audi normally aspirated direct injection
TFSI = Audi forced induction direct injection.

Yea, I couldnt tell which direction you were going with it. I almost locked the thread with a google link, but I figured you "might" have mis read the OP.

My apologies though. Carry on :)

CFG9000

Ready to race!
The EA888 is Audi developed.

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
I guess you guys arent getting what my question is and no one has anwsered my question yet. Why does the tsi create more power then the fsi when adding a k04? I wasnt aware that they were that different thats why i was asking but still im confused as why a mk5 owner has to replace fp/ijectors to install a k04 when we dont have to do this .

Status
Not open for further replies.