GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EONON GA5153F Review

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
When I had mine, it wouldn't play any DVDs, just the formatted ones. They (EONON) suggested to transfer the DVDs to SD format which I think is LAME. That would have been a waste of time so I sold it to a forum member, who was fully aware of that issue.

Hmmm I haven't tried non formatted DVDs yet I'll give that a try too. Are you saying like DVD-r that you burn it won't play but it will play like a DVD movie?

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
That's a great review, thanks a lot!

Does "OK Google" work? I'd like to be able to make notes and calendar reminders without having to touch any buttons, while driving.

Also, it seems like the previous official Eonon threads have been closed, anyone know how we can contact a mod? They had information that would be good to see.

I will try ok google and let you know I have not used that feature. Hmm you're right I haven't even looked to see them closed. You can send them an email off the website. That's your best bet I wonder why they are shut down.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm I haven't tried non formatted DVDs yet I'll give that a try too. Are you saying like DVD-r that you burn it won't play but it will play like a DVD movie?

It was a DVD of a school play for my 8yr old. It works but the typical DVDs (ones from the store) won't play at all.

ribtits

Passed Driver's Ed
Great review! I just upgraded to an rcd-510 but now you're making me really want to get this. I just have one quick question before I pull the trigger.

I mainly play music through my phone, and stream it through my current headunit's bluetooth. The only problem is, is that my current head unit does not allow me to skip to the next track or previous track with the steering wheel controls. I used both google play and spotify, both don't work.

If I get the GA5153F, and play music from my phone and stream it through the GA5153F bluetooth, will I be able to use the steering wheel controls to skip to the next track or previous track? I know the steering wheel controls work when navigating apps, volume, etc. but I need to know if it can work in the EXACT situation I just asked about. This is the MOST IMPORTANT function I want.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
Great review! I just upgraded to an rcd-510 but now you're making me really want to get this. I just have one quick question before I pull the trigger.

I mainly play music through my phone, and stream it through my current headunit's bluetooth. The only problem is, is that my current head unit does not allow me to skip to the next track or previous track with the steering wheel controls. I used both google play and spotify, both don't work.

If I get the GA5153F, and play music from my phone and stream it through the GA5153F bluetooth, will I be able to use the steering wheel controls to skip to the next track or previous track? I know the steering wheel controls work when navigating apps, volume, etc. but I need to know if it can work in the EXACT situation I just asked about. This is the MOST IMPORTANT function I want.

I've never tried that I play music through a sd card and it allows me to do that but I will try it and let you know. I'm assuming if pandora will let me do it so should Spotify but I'll try it just to be sure.

ribtits

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never tried that I play music through a sd card and it allows me to do that but I will try it and let you know. I'm assuming if pandora will let me do it so should Spotify but I'll try it just to be sure.

If you can please test by streaming spotify/pandora ON YOUR PHONE while it's connected via bluetooth. I plan to use my phone w/ bluetooth when listening to music. Thanks again. Really appreciate you testing out all our requests.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
If you can please test by streaming spotify/pandora ON YOUR PHONE while it's connected via bluetooth. I plan to use my phone w/ bluetooth when listening to music. Thanks again. Really appreciate you testing out all our requests.

Ohh no problem sir I really appreciate the bumps and thanks. I'll be off work here in about 40 minutes I plan on testing the pandora/Spotify feature and going to put some DVDs to the test also.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!

Good news for you sir spotify and pandora both allow for me to skip to the next song with the steering wheel controls. Thats something cool I didn't think of trying so thank you.

Also I tried a couple more dvds i had laying around and they work, I tried LOTR and MI2. Both dvds I got at Wal-mart so it might have been just the headunit you had with fault or error. I'm not so sure though but both played for me I even fast forwarded to see if it would stop and it worked.

ribtits

Passed Driver's Ed
Good news for you sir spotify and pandora both allow for me to skip to the next song with the steering wheel controls. Thats something cool I didn't think of trying so thank you.

Also I tried a couple more dvds i had laying around and they work, I tried LOTR and MI2. Both dvds I got at Wal-mart so it might have been just the headunit you had with fault or error. I'm not so sure though but both played for me I even fast forwarded to see if it would stop and it worked.

AWESOME! I hated having to skip tracks using my phone since i would have to sometimes unlock my phone, then click the "next" button all while driving. I will be getting this unit asap now because of you.

Eonon should be giving you commission lol. Again, thanks a lot for answering my question.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

I, along with several forum members, had the same issue about DVD playback. If it wasn't for that, I would have kept it.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Hmm thats very odd I'm worried about mine in the future was it something you noticed right away? Or did you just come across it after owning the headunit for a bit

It only played formatted DVDs from the start. Tried several different DVDs and was unsuccessful. I had the headunit for about a month only, purchased new from their website w/ forum discount code.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
It only played formatted DVDs from the start. Tried several different DVDs and was unsuccessful. I had the headunit for about a month only, purchased new from their website w/ forum discount code.

Well I don't know I'm lost on this one sir mine is working fine not that I care much for the dvd playback feature but yea I would definitely want everything to be working 100%. :iono:

tdietro

Been paying close attention to all the Eonon threads, as I consider getting one. One question that was asked on one of the official Eonon threads was about the sound quality/functionality of the built-in mic when using it for a bluetooth call. It never got answered. So, let me ask for your impressions of the built-in mic?