GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noob info on speaker upgrade

SoCalLowLife6

I know their is a search function and I’ve tried to find the info I need but was unsuccessful.

I own a 2011 GTI 4 Door and I would like to upgrade the 6.5” speakers with some budget friendly component speakers and amp. For now I’d like to do without a sub, but maybe later I’ll add that on.

I’m considering JBL GTO609c component speakers for the front. I’m torn between adding the same component speakers in the rear or the JBL GTO609 coaxial speakers in the rear. Would it be better to go with the component or coaxial speakers in the rear to compliment the front components? Also, what are your thoughts about this brand and specific speakers?

So far my parts list include
- JBL GTO609c 6.5” x2
- JBL GTO609c or coaxial 6.5” x2
- Pioneer GMD-8604 1200watt 4 channel amp
- 4 gauge Wire Kit
- Adapter plate x4
- VW Golf speaker plug leads connectors
- Dynamat

Am I missing something to complete this install?

What I feel I don’t understand is what to connect to the RMS510 head unit? Once I remove the stock speakers and connect the new speakers to the stock vw wiring via the golf speaker adapters would that connect to the head unit? But then how do the new speakers get power from the new amp and not the old vw amp? Or is my thinking completely wrong? I feel like I’m missing a part to complete The install.

Please by easy on me if this how be explained to death in previous threads or the fact that my knowledge on this issue is very minimal! :iono:

Thank you very much in advance!

SoCalLowLife6

Anyone? I would really like to tackle this install on my own to save the $200-$400 a stereo shop will definitely charge for an install.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I think what you're missing is a line out converter. I had a shop install my sub/amp and they had to put one in. No idea what kind they put in my car, but it works. A lot of people swear by the LC7i. It's a pricier one, but it's one of the best from what I hear.

SoCalLowLife6

I think what you're missing is a line out converter. I had a shop install my sub/amp and they had to put one in. No idea what kind they put in my car, but it works. A lot of people swear by the LC7i. It's a pricier one, but it's one of the best from what I hear.

Ok, would the LC2i be sufficient? Splicing the wires behind the headunit is still necessary with the LOC correct? I’m just trying to make sure I have everything I need to tackle this install! Please if anyone can confirm if I’m on the right track or do I need something else other then the LOC?