GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to negotiate price of a new VW Golf

tundrabird

I'm getting serious about buying a new 2011 Golf TDI Comfortline but I've never bought a new car. I purchased a report that shows the invoice price of the car I want to buy. The report suggests offering between 3% and 6% above invoice, but notes that some dealers won't accept less than 6% for some cars.

I am pretty much clueless and would appreciate any advice you seasoned veterans could provide. Thanks!

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
It really depends on supply and demand

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I'd post in the "Canada" section of this forum to see how members in your area are doing due to the differences in pricing etc.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
The TDIs will be harder to negotiate with. They are selling quicker than they can make them. That's not so good for you. However, you should absolutely negotiate below invoice. Because invoice is a bit of a misnomer, there is a dealer holdback... so even if they sell it like 3% below invoice they make a profit on it.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Go in there with a gun and demand a TDI.

That might not work.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Tried Zag, and I now have a nearby dealer easily going below invoice on a GTI. :thumbsup:
$24,888 for a Base 4Door w/DSG.
$26,8900 for a Sunroof/Nav. package 4Door w/DSG.

Will order one for a $500.00 refundable deposit as well.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Put that $500 on a credit card... that way if something happens and the deal falls through you can still get your money back if the dealership is dicking around. Happened to me, the dealer kept saying "yeah yeah we'll send your $500 back." and never did. So I disputed it with my CC company and got it all back :thumbup:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Put that $500 on a credit card... that way if something happens and the deal falls through you can still get your money back if the dealership is dicking around. Happened to me, the dealer kept saying "yeah yeah we'll send your $500 back." and never did. So I disputed it with my CC company and got it all back :thumbup:

Yes - I will, thank you!
I do virtually everything via debit card nowadays.
"Don't carry cash" like the old AmEx commercials used to say.