GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Pro-Tune vrs Unitronic Stage 2 -- DYNO

FriggenT1

Banned
I've had 3 APs for 3 different cars and done etunes on 2 of them, but the ots maps are notoriously known for just being safe, no super tweaking done, and that's ok because it's not the main purpose. However, looking at giacs clutch buster file and even the revised apr stage 2 tune, it seems the numbers do come pretty close to the protune mentioned at the beginning of this thread...or iirc at least.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I've had 3 APs for 3 different cars and done etunes on 2 of them, but the ots maps are notoriously known for just being safe, no super tweaking done, and that's ok because it's not the main purpose. However, looking at giacs clutch buster file and even the revised apr stage 2 tune, it seems the numbers do come pretty close to the protune mentioned at the beginning of this thread...or iirc at least.

I'm sticking with GIAC as Id rather figure out my car before dropping $700-$1000 on a tune. The clutch buster is fun. Just have to run E40 or race fuel. It's too cold out now so I just have my car in stock mode.

FriggenT1

Banned
I'm sticking with GIAC as Id rather figure out my car before dropping $700-$1000 on a tune. The clutch buster is fun. Just have to run E40 or race fuel. It's too cold out now so I just have my car in stock mode.

I think that's a good choice, as I would've stuck with my DM tune if I had it to do over. I liked dealing with Andy and such, but I just don't use all of the tools that come along with Eurodyne maestro. However, I've done a lot of reading a such, and honestly, from all of the 1/4 times and such I've seen have giac at the top of most, with um seeming to be quite a powerful tune as well.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I think that's a good choice, as I would've stuck with my DM tune if I had it to do over. I liked dealing with Andy and such, but I just don't use all of the tools that come along with Eurodyne maestro. However, I've done a lot of reading a such, and honestly, from all of the 1/4 times and such I've seen have giac at the top of most, with um seeming to be quite a powerful tune as well.

Yeah I figured from the advice you were giving it's best to stay since GIAC has such a high reputation. I was interested in Eurodyne but i felt like it would be over my head to get something I wouldn't have a clue on regardless of all the help there is for it. Also, I don't think I'll do a K04 or Frankenturbo down the road. It's a lot of money to put into my GTI. If anything would happen to the turbo I might change my mind or just get it rebuilt and port and polished. I'd rather have all the extra power in a Golf R so I'd save up the moneys for one of those instead.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So, I feel like a total dummy. Initially when I talked with GIAC I had thought they confirmed that I was stage 2. Well after talking with them today he looked into it further and affirmed that I'm stage 1 since I don't have their dsg tune. Apparently I can't go stage 2 ecu unless I get a stage 2 dsg tune since the power output is so much more with their clutch buster tune. So, I know what I'm doing when spring gets here! Stage 2 dsg and I will be able to go stage 2 ecu for free. That explains why I think my car was under powered for a stage 2 tune. I guess when I got it flashed in March that I was confused on what tune I exactly got. Not GIAC's fault, just the shop that flashed me. Sorry for thread jacking! Lol

FriggenT1

Banned
So, I feel like a total dummy. Initially when I talked with GIAC I had thought they confirmed that I was stage 2. Well after talking with them today he looked into it further and affirmed that I'm stage 1 since I don't have their dsg tune. Apparently I can't go stage 2 ecu unless I get a stage 2 dsg tune since the power output is so much more with their clutch buster tune. So, I know what I'm doing when spring gets here! Stage 2 dsg and I will be able to go stage 2 ecu for free. That explains why I think my car was under powered for a stage 2 tune. I guess when I got it flashed in March that I was confused on what tune I exactly got. Not GIAC's fault, just the shop that flashed me. Sorry for thread jacking! Lol

You already have the DP and intake?

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
You already have the DP and intake?

Yeup! Was getting AWE tuning turbo back installed at the time. Their website does stage will get better power delivery with intake and do for both files. So I guess I'm stage 1+. Steve stated that they won't flash stage 2 unless you have a tcu tune since the power from their stage 2 tune could have a tendency to slip the clutches. I think their advertising could use some work on these things but oh well. At least I don't have to pay an upgrade to stage 2 ecu file so I guess it isn't so bad. Plus their dsg tune sounds really great from what I've read and he told me. Higher clamping pressures earlier on and can lay down all the power like a manual transmission will. I'll save up for their next sale in the spring and go this route.

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeup! Was getting AWE tuning turbo back installed at the time. Their website does stage will get better power delivery with intake and do for both files. So I guess I'm stage 1+. Steve stated that they won't flash stage 2 unless you have a tcu tune since the power from their stage 2 tune could have a tendency to slip the clutches. I think their advertising could use some work on these things but oh well. At least I don't have to pay an upgrade to stage 2 ecu file so I guess it isn't so bad. Plus their dsg tune sounds really great from what I've read and he told me. Higher clamping pressures earlier on and can lay down all the power like a manual transmission will. I'll save up for their next sale in the spring and go this route.

Well, at least you got the issue worked out, that's the important part

adema69

Ready to race!
I just had my mk6 gti protuned with cobb accessport. The dyno was done on an awd "heart breaker" mustang dyno linked in awd. I was having a fueling issue with my usp high flow intake pump and will go back with the bigger map sensor and fixed pump. I put down 310hp and 348tq this was done with water meth spraying but not tuned for it on 22psi. I couldn't really get a base tune as the car was misfiring up top without water meth. Will post updated numbers when I go back
Overall drive ability compared to the unitronic ko4 file is night and day. The power delivery is smooth and just pulls through the rpm range. With the unitronic file it would feel laggy and then at about 3k would start to pull.

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
Software: COBB Pro-Tune vrs Unitronics Stage 2

Dyno: Mustang AWD dyno, very conservative i.e. “heart breaker”

Vehicle: 2012 VW GTI DSG 46k miles CCTA 2.0 TSI stock IHI turbo

Gas: Shell 93 Octane

Mods: APR carbonio intake, Eurojet 3” catless DP, CTS 3” exhaust, Charge pipe, Throttle pipe, R8 coils, NGK one step colder plugs, 19” BBS CH 235/35/19, H&R suspension

Weather: Dry and in the 70’s, within 5-6 degrees of both dyno runs

REVIEW:
As most of you, I was at a point with modifying my GTI were I was running out of reliable power adders. I always wished I could get a custom ECU tune but until now there just weren’t any viable options. COBB has changed the game in ECU tuning for our platform.

To begin this comparison, we ran the car on an AWD Mustang dyno to see what the Unitronics Stage 2 was putting to the ground. With my car’s current modifications, the Unitronics stage 2 tune put down a respectable 240 whp and 271 wtq. As you can see on the dyno, the Unitronics tune had a refined curve and had very little variation. This was the highest of the three pulls we did, and there was a minimal variance between the three runs.

Having gotten our base line numbers, COBB tuning installed their AccessPort. It is a rapid process that is minimally invasive, and they uploaded the new tune directly through the OBDII port. COBB also installed their Big SF Intake System (See my COBB intake review). Then it was back to the dyno for the Pro-Tune. A COBB professional tuner sits in the car on the dyno, and fine tunes their software to make the most power for your car. This is very important, because we all have different modifications installed on our cars. He starts with a base line, and then he modifies boost, timing, and fuel. The process took just a couple hours and the results were staggering! As you can see on the dyno chart the COBB Pro-Tune is equally as refined and made 257 whp and 320 wtq!!

THE DRIVE:
I noticed an immediate difference in tone the first time I started the car. I made my way out onto the highway to test the performance while getting up to highway speeds. As traffic cleared, it was time to drop the throttle and see real world results. The acceleration was striking! Unlike some other tunes on the market, there weren't any issues with the DSG in manual mode; the shifts were also lightning fast. I clicked down a gear and sailed past triple digits. Before I knew it, the other cars just became a blur! I got back down to a safe and respectable speed (the car did not skip a beat) and was still getting 32mpg! The DSG “brap” was even louder, and I found myself shifting more just to enjoy it!

AccessPort:
This interface is amazing and I will cover the AccessPort in a separate in detail review. I just had to get the Pro-Tune review out. I am just so impressed with the ability to pull so much power over the Off The Shelf (OTS) options we have all be using for years.

[/url]Dyno Uni Cobb by Walkert., on Flickr[/IMG]

Those numbers seem a little low for Uni Stage 2. When I dynoed mine with just intake/tune/exhaust, mine came back as 258 whp/283 tq in April weather(high 60's).

Of course, I'm sure there are other factors to consider. Regardless, those gains Cobb achieved(especially the torque) are phenomenal!

Last edited:

FriggenT1

Banned
Those numbers seem a little low for Uni Stage 2. When I dynoed mine with just intake/tune/exhaust, mine came back as 257 whp/281 tq in April weather(high 60's).

Of course, I'm sure there are other factors to consider. Regardless, those gains Cobb achieved(especially the torque) are phenomenal!

Of course, a dyno will help to get a good idea where you are, though trap speed really shows hp imo.

corman1313

Ready to race!
I made 266/307 with my Cobb Pro tune on 91 with their Mustang dyno

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

corman1313

Ready to race!
I think if you go to Cobb and do both at the same time you get a discount but I didn't so the AP was 650 and the Dyno tune was 525. They actually put my car in limp mode because they hadn't tuned a DSG before so they refunded my money and I ended up E Tuning with Stratified and boy was it a night and day difference from the Cobb dyno tune, so much better throughout the powerband.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk