GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI hard start and CEL after mechanic changed clutch

merlin6014

Hi all,

Car is a 2010 GTI Mk6 - Has a Stage 2 tune (bluefin), catless DP and VWR intake. That was all fitted 2 months ago and car ran fine except for stock clutch gave up after about 500kms with tune. Car has 70,000kms.

Anyway bought the Sachs upgraded clutch, new LUK dual mass flywheel and slave cylinder all direct from overseas and handed it all over to a reputable local clutch place to install (as ironically I didnt want to screw it up myself).

Got call up that car was ready and I noticed when I first started it at mechanics it cranked for about 5 seconds before starting. I put it down to just maybe the new flywheel and clutch bedding in. Then on way home I get the engine light. When I got home I checked codes and get "P0016" which is camshaft position sensor.

Took it back to mechanic who spent another couple of hours on it and he cant figure it out but feels a clutch change wouldn't have caused this. He was closing so he said to flash back to stock over the weekend and see if that's the cause as the battery was out for about 6 hours and call him back Monday.

So I've flashed back to stock and get same problem, flashed the stage 2 back and same problem. What happens is on first start after a flash or clearing the error code it starts fine but after idling for about 20 seconds the CEL comes on and on a restart it cranks for 5 seconds before firing.

Any ideas?

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Hi all,

Car is a 2010 GTI Mk6 - Has a Stage 2 tune (bluefin), catless DP and VWR intake. That was all fitted 2 months ago and car ran fine except for stock clutch gave up after about 500kms with tune. Car has 70,000kms.

Anyway bought the Sachs upgraded clutch, new LUK dual mass flywheel and slave cylinder all direct from overseas and handed it all over to a reputable local clutch place to install (as ironically I didnt want to screw it up myself).

Got call up that car was ready and I noticed when I first started it at mechanics it cranked for about 5 seconds before starting. I put it down to just maybe the new flywheel and clutch bedding in. Then on way home I get the engine light. When I got home I checked codes and get "P0016" which is camshaft position sensor.

Took it back to mechanic who spent another couple of hours on it and he cant figure it out but feels a clutch change wouldn't have caused this. He was closing so he said to flash back to stock over the weekend and see if that's the cause as the battery was out for about 6 hours and call him back Monday.

So I've flashed back to stock and get same problem, flashed the stage 2 back and same problem. What happens is on first start after a flash or clearing the error code it starts fine but after idling for about 20 seconds the CEL comes on and on a restart it cranks for 5 seconds before firing.

Any ideas?

I WOULD NOT start the car anymore until you can figure out the issue; P0016 is often a code thrown when the timing chain tensioner fails throwing the car out of time. Have you updated to the revised tensioner? If not, the 2010's all came with the old design which is failure prone. Hopefully it isn't the timing tensioner/chain :thumbdown::mad:

See threads:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47128
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34982

If the car is still drivable you may have only slipped a tooth and not damaged anything significant yet, or maybe slightly bent valves.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I agree im guessing you skipped timing slightly and it had nothing to do with the clutch. best case scenario its just the sensor